quick help to decide

daft1972
daft1972 Posts: 9
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi, i have done lots of research before i join the mountain biking community and now i am about to buy my first bike and i am stuck between to bike that seems to fit my criteria and budget,
Saracen Kili Expert 29er hardtail or Kona Kahuna deluxe 29er hardtail, both are brand new and both are heavily discounted to around £750
As a quick guide i am quite a large guy ex-rugby player and will be using the bike for loosing weight and fitness so trail center and such like no too technical stuff.
I would really appreciate your thoughts.
Cheers

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Links would help.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • zedzed
    zedzed Posts: 55
    The spec. for the 2012 Kona (which is the only one that I've seen close to £750) is this:

Kona Kahuna Deluxe Hardtail Bike Specifications:
    Frame Material: Kona Race Light 7005 Aluminum Butted
    Fork: Rock Shox Recon Gold TK Solo Air 20mm TA
    Crankarms: SRAM X5
    Chainrings: 44/33/22
    B/B: SRAM X5
    Pedals: Shimano M505 Clipless
    Chain: SRAM PC-1031
    Freewheel: SRAM PG-1030 11-36 10 spd
    F/D: SRAM X5
    R/D: SRAM X7 SGS
    Shifters: SRAM X5
    Brake Calipers: Avid Elixir 3
    Front Brake Rotor: Avid HS1 180mm
    Rear Brake Rotor: Avid HS1 160mm
    Brake Levers: Avid Elixir 3
    Headset: FSA No.57B
    Handlebar: Kona Energy
    Stem: Kona XC/Road
    Seatpost: Kona Double Clamp w/offset
    Seat Clamp: Kona Clamp
    Grips: Kona Race Light LOG
    Saddle: WTB Valcon Sport SE
    Front Hub: Formula Disc
    Rear Hub: Formula Disc
    Spokes: Sandvik Stainless 14g
    Rims: WTB SpeeDisc All Mountain
    Front Tire: Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1
    Rear Tire: Maxxis Ignitor 29x2.1

This review indicates 3/5 rating for it, but that was at RRP of £1,500: http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain/product/review-kona-kahuna-deluxe-12-46048

I'd also be interested in opinions on this as an "entry level" 29er. Slight thread hijack - I'm 5ft 8 ... look to be between a 16" and 18" bike. Does it being a 29er make any difference? Is the recommendation if inbetween sizes to go larger?

Spec for the Saracen is this: http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/kili-expert
  • daft1972
    I don't mind having my post hi-jacked as long as we get the advise we are looking for. :wink:
    It seems the Kona has better forks but possibly is heavier overall?! (although been 18 stone i dont think a couple of pounds on the bike will make that much difference until i have lost them myself)
    But the saracen seems to have better components i think which is why i am torn between the two.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    There is very little in it - I'd go for what fits best, simple as that!
  • daft1972
    Thanks i thought there was not a lot between, but i am thinking having good forks on the Kona is maybe the way to go as i could upgrade the rest over time.
    Just was not sure if one make was better than the other...and the Saracen looks a little more modern maybe...wish i could afford a Zen x 650....
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The forks will behave exactly the same, just that the Gold is lighter.
  • daft1972
    i forgot to mention that both are of online website so trying them is not an option.
  • daft1972
    If it is just the matter of a few grams i maybe better with the Saracen then, the only other difference i can see is that the Saracen is a little more XC based i think than the trail geometry on the Kona...
    God why is this so difficult.
    By the way supersonic thank you for your imput and i only live in Rotherham