So what's he gonna do?

josame
josame Posts: 1,162
edited July 2013 in Pro race
My guess is that Bertie will attack (a la Sastre) on the first go at A d'H and then carry it onto the finish :?
'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'

Comments

• thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited July 2013

• hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    The descent is treacherous, so assuming they can descend well, any attack on the first ascent that gets a reasonable gap is likely to hold it until the foot of the second climb. Whether anyone can recover enough to be able to hold on for the second ascent is going to be questionable.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He's not got the legs to attack. It'd be suicide to attack so far out. In the mountains - he's just got no answer to Froome.

I think he'll have to order some special stake for the TT.
  • josame
    Well he has got a rest day ... :wink:
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    Can't see that happening tbh. Suspect Bert will be wanting to make sure hes in 2nd place in Paris. Doubt he will risk that by putting it all on the line on Thursday...Would love to see him try though
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    If he thinks he even might have the legs for it, then I'd like to see him go for a long range suicide attack in the alps. He can't win if he doesn't. If he does gamble big and lose, so what? What does 2nd place in the tour mean to him? He's won 5 grand tours, who cares if he picks up a second place?

I suppose the only problem is that Riis might want the WT points.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He'll go for broke hopefully, like he did in 2011, maybe with some Valverde help.
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    As much as I have never likened to Contador I can't help but want him to win this tour. Froome has had it allh is way, he's been able to ride off up the mountains and leave everyone in his wake.

It would make for a truly fantastic battle if Contador went for broke. Watch out for Saxo riders in the early breakaway?
  • graeme_s-2
    Ideally I'd like to see Saxo use Kreuzinger to isolate Froome early like Movistar did last week and then send Contador on a long range attack.

I'd like Froome to win overall, but I'd also like to see some good racing in the mean time!

Not sure if Saxo will be able to repeat Movistar's trick of isolating Froome though. If it hadn't been for Kennaugh getting knocked into a ditch then I'm not sure it would have worked for Movistar the first time.
  • Froboz
    Froboz Posts: 32
    On_What wrote:
    As much as I have never likened to Contador I can't help but want him to win this tour. Froome has had it allh is way, he's been able to ride off up the mountains and leave everyone in his wake.

It would make for a truly fantastic battle if Contador went for broke. Watch out for Saxo riders in the early breakaway?

I'd love to see Contador at least win a stage, but I don't think it'll happen sadly.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    He's not been as strong since the doping ban has he ?
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Just how treacherous is the descent, I've heard talk of a farm track? Probably still better than most of the UK roads to be fair.. ;)
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Just how treacherous is the descent, I've heard talk of a farm track? Probably still better than most of the UK roads to be fair.. ;)

It's not clear how much they've fixed it. I climbed and descended it a couple of years ago and it's very narrow and twisty but the worst thing was the drainage channels that run cross ways. They must have filled them, surely?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Rode up it a couple of weeks ago. It's like a typical UK lane - not great but not terrible and certainly not a farm track. The top section after the summit to the Alpe is very very bumpy - not broken tarmac but either tarmac laid on a non-flat surface or tarmac that has shifted.

I can't see it being that decisive - it's so narrow and technical that it's not a high speed descent - a lot of pedalling out of corners - anyone on their own is going to be shagged and then you've still got to get to the foot of the Alpe after that. Of course riding up a climb can give you a false impression and others I was with reckon it will be a fast descent so you take your pick - one thing it is is long - so if anyone can go down it faster than Froome there is the distance to build a decent gap there.

The other thing is that the section above the Alpe has some very big drops off the edge of the road which might make some riders slow more than others. If you went over the edge you'd be dead.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    cougie wrote:
    He's not been as strong since the doping ban has he ?

Something like that...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • hammerite
    Paul 8v wrote:

you can google streetview it, won't be up to date, but will give you an idea....

http://goo.gl/maps/HYayC :shock:
  • graeme_s-2
    Does look pretty rough on streetview - bet they've completely resurfaced it since then for the race!
  • hammerite
    Graeme_S wrote:
    Does look pretty rough on streetview - bet they've completely resurfaced it since then for the race!

you'd hope so wouldn't you! I asked a friend who rode up it a couple of weeks ago, he wasn't so sure they had resurfaced it.
  • Rich.H
    Rich.H Posts: 443
    Courtesy of airwise over at Weight Weenies (aka Michael Pinchen from this parish...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVLY9y3u ... e=youtu.be

I descended this a couple of weeks ago and did not enjoy the first few k's at all - at speed, it feels incredibly bumpy and you obviously gather a great deal of speed between bends which makes control even more difficult. Still, my Strava time wasnt too bad..... :wink:

My son, who has less imagination than me, was somewhat quicker....doubt he will hang on to his top 10 spot beyond Thursday though.....

Rich
  • hammerite
    Rich.H wrote:
    Courtesy of airwise over at Weight Weenies (aka Michael Pinchen from this parish...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVLY9y3u ... e=youtu.be

I descended this a couple of weeks ago and did not enjoy the first few k's at all - at speed, it feels incredibly bumpy and you obviously gather a great deal of speed between bends which makes control even more difficult. Still, my Strava time wasnt too bad..... :wink:

My son, who has less imagination than me, was somewhat quicker....doubt he will hang on to his top 10 spot beyond Thursday though.....

Rich

If Contador get's away Froome will deploy Little Pete to take a tumble on the upper slopes to take out Contador further down.
  • hammerite
    edited July 2013
    double post
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes it's bumpy and narrow - technical rather than fast - if it was a decent surface with some width you'd think nothing of it imo. If it rains might be interesting - forecast is looking fairly good but some chance of thunderstorms.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • josame
    What is this? A road surfacing convention? .. go and start your own thread :wink:
  • Paul 8v
    josame wrote:
    What is this? A road surfacing convention? .. go and start your own thread :wink:
    hey, what's rong with road surfacing conventions? We've had geology, cheese, local farm animals, road surfacing is the next logical step :lol:

That does look pretty bad to be fair, that's Domane/Roubaix/(insert other rugged bike here) territory. there's a local Strav segment like that to me but it has a hedge either side rather than instant death!
  • graeme_s-2
    Paul 8v wrote:
    That does look pretty bad to be fair, that's Domane/Roubaix/(insert other rugged bike here) territory. there's a local Strav segment like that to me but it has a hedge either side rather than instant death!
    Yeah - instant hedge doesn't strike quite the same sort of fear into your heart does it?

(and I speak as a man who once rolled over a wet manhole cover while cornering fairly quickly and ended up in a hedge!)
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    He'll go for broke hopefully, like he did in 2011, maybe with some Valverde help.

One of the things I admire about Contador is he doesn't race for placings.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • josame
    Paul 8v wrote:
    josame wrote:
    hey, what's rong with road surfacing conventions? We've had geology, cheese, local farm animals, road surfacing is the next logical step :lol:

By law you are not allowed to draw any comparison between Maldon and the Alps (pain of death - sorry)
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Froome will demolish Contador if he tries to attack, and I look forward to seeing. Drug free Contador really is a shadow of his former steak enhanced self. Why anyone would support this convicted doper and his equally as shady team and outrageously shady DS Riis ahead of Froome and Sky baffles me.
  • Paul 8v
    edited July 2013
    josame wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    josame wrote:

By law you are not allowed to draw any comparison between Maldon and the Alps (pain of death - sorry)

Haha, I take it you've never been up Market Hill :) I meant more the road surface, that is a classic Essex back road surface, hence why I bought a Domane :mrgreen:

*edit But yes, you're right I shouldn't compare them, that's sacrilege!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    On_What wrote:

Well, if you ignore more or less a whole mountain stage isolated against the combined strength of Movistar and Saxo or the day he missed the front echelon and lost time to Bertie yes he has had everything his own way!