What groupset look for in a new bike?

Lassic
Lassic Posts: 32
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Morning BR,

I'm currently looking at new road bikes to replace my hybrid and getting confused on groupsets and things.
When I'm looking around for bikes, I see some with Shimano 150/2300/Tiagra/Ultegra etc. Could someone list these from worst to best? Is there much of a difference? And which of these would I be looking for with a £500-£600 bike?

Many thanks,
Neil.

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Druidor
    Druidor Posts: 230
    in that price range you would be getting the Sora & possibly Tigra groupsets although some manufacturers have a tendency of scrimping and not giving the full package (usually brake calipers)

When I was looking I was advised to get the best I could in the price range, managed to get a full 105 compact set + upgraded wheels under £1k
    ---
    Sensa Trentino SL Custom 2013 - 105 Compact - Aksium Race
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    In Shimano the range goes from low to high thus:

Sora
    Tiagra
    Ultegra
    Dura Ace.

They all do the same job and all work but as you climb the range you get less weight and (arguably) better shifting.

In reality 105 is all you really need.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    smidsy wrote:
    Though in the OP's price range, he will probably be looking in the Sora/Tiagra range. As long as he gets 2013 Sora, there's probably not a huge difference between them. 2013 Sora can be distinguished from 2012 by the lack of thumb shifters on 2013.

The other difference is the number of gear, lower end may be 708 as you get to ultegra/DA you can get 11 at the back.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    What about the argument that you should achieve the best frame you can for the money and make do with the group set you can get?

Let's face it, at that money, the group set you will get will be absolutely fine, and the only reason you will upgrade it is the Joneses.
  • Lassic
    Lassic Posts: 32
    Thanks for the replies guys, now I know what's what I can compare bikes better. :)

I'm not expecting the world for that sort of budget, just a mid-range, reliable bike.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Rather than worry about groupset, consider what you want to do with the bike. Do you want comfort or sportiness as a priority? You have quite a lot of choice.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    One thing to check is whether a bike is a mixture of group sets, they will be predominately one but my contain some lower spec elements - my cannondale CAAD8 is a 105 groupset but the cassette was a tiagra one
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    socistep wrote:
    my cannondale CAAD8 is a 105 groupset but the cassette was a tiagra one

Which is hardly worth worrying about.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    smidsy wrote:

Whole heartedly agree with this. The best price:performance groupset Shimano offer.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”