New bike

djwc
djwc Posts: 39
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi posted a few days ago and got some good advice, and I'm now looking into getting a road bike.

Yes, I'm still learning to ride (like literally learning to ride - never had a bike as a kid and I'm now 26!) but I want to get into road cycling and there's quite a few places round me which have paths which I can ride on for a while to get my confidence up before hitting the road properly.

So I've been to Evans and had myself fitted so I know what size I'm going to need, and I'm now left with the rather fun (and seemingly frustrating at the same time!) task of finding myself a bike!

What do people think honestly about buying new / second hand at this point? I had a look at the Specialized Allez at around 550, which looked and felt great. But I've seen some belting deals on ebay / gumtree etc which if I got one would be amazing as a great bike can be picked up second hand.

Does anyone have any good ideas as to what a good starter bike would be, or have any pearls of wisdom as to where I might be able to track a decent bike down outside of the obvious (buying new, ebay/gumtree etc) as I'm pretty new to the cycling fraternity so I have literally no inside knowledge!

Thanks

Comments

• fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I'd go with a Gumtree cheapy until you are a confident and more experienced rider. If you crash, you won't feel so guilty about scratching an older already scratched bike. Plus, I think, and I'm sure people will disagree, you only really appreciate the benefits of a nice bike (however you define that) when you've ridden an inferior one - at least that's what I found.
    main think of course - enjoy!
  • SwainDogg
    SwainDogg Posts: 21
    Either's fine. If you're not sure what to look out for with a second hand bike then may be useful having someone to check it over for you. You may have to factor in some ££ getting it perfect for you. FS comments make sense too. Suppose it depends on how much you have to spend really. Good luck searching!
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Buy a second hand allez....

1. Someone bought one, really got into riding and wanted something "faster" had a lot of money, so sold the Allez and bought a new bike, the Allez is likely to have done less than a couple of thousand warm weather miles.

2. Someone bought one, went for a few rides, got really "into cycling" then "got bored" put the bike in the shed and now decided to get rid because it's wasting up space and won't be ridden.

Pretty good bargains, just look for one that is in good nick, probably get one easily around the £300 mark.
  • djwc
    djwc Posts: 39
    Orbea Larrau?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORBEA-Larrau- ... 461117703d

My girlfriend is a road cyclist and said orbeas were good bikes