Another Cyclist Death - FFS

BigLights
BigLights Posts: 464
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
Just walked past Holborn. Another cyclist has been killed by a lorry.....FFS. RIP.

Comments

• BigLights
    LCC are organising another protest ride for tommorrow. 6.30 at Russell Square.

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/lcc-organise ... or-cycling
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What does the protest ride entail?
  • BigLights
    The one on Friday (my first, I'm not generally that type) was actually impressive. 1500 or so riders turned up. Ride v slowly round a preplanned route, ending at a square somewhere. Idea is to cause a little bit of disruption, just enough to mark the Mayor's card i suppose.

It was rather pleasant, well organised, well marshalled and well policed (they closed the roads). Not the 80s trafalgar square polltax type molotov cocktail slinging fun of a previous generation, but worthwhile nonetheless. It felt like there was a lot of momentum, and I reckon if it's kept up then who knows. London Cycling's Tahrir Square moment?
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    yeah and importantly, it got a fair amount of tv and newspaper coverage.

not sure how many will turn up this time, being so soon after the last one.
  • jacknorell
    jacknorell Posts: 62
    It was a shame about the reason for the protest ride, but the ride was really quite good and got attention. The police were great.

Shame about the misguided and confrontational guy that blocked a bus from coming down the road at Russell Square before the ride started, and tweaking its wipers.

Another cyclist that took part kindly put it back, so the bus could get on its way. Behaviour like that just tells the entire bus load of people the cyclists are t***s, and that bus driver is now probably less likely to really take the utmost care around cyclists.