Mountain bike for daily commute

middlep
middlep Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm about to move and planning to get a mountain bike for my daily commute to work (about 5 miles). I'm quite lucky in that the majority of the route is a bridleway and friends/local bike shops have said that it's best to get a mountain bike due to the route.

I haven't ridden a bike for about 15 years, so it's been a bit difficult / confusing! I have a budget of between £300-£500... after much searching online I think I'm down to the following options:

- Vitus Bikes Zircon 29 Hardtail Bike 2013 (£472.99)
- GT Avalanche 3.0 (£384.99)
- Giant Talon 3 (£419)
- Carrera Vulcan (£359.99)
- Voodoo Bantu (£399)

A friend recommends the Vitus since it has the best fork, but I see the Carrera and the Voodoo are recommended in the sticky threads on here... so I guess these may be my best bet? Though I also hear Halfords get a bad rep?...

At the moment it seems to be a toss up between the Carrera (cheapest, recommended on here and currently discounted) and the Vitus (rrp is £600, so possibly most bang for the buck considering the discount & maybe longer life since better parts etc.?).

What are you thoughts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Unless the bridleway has huge boulders and craters on it, a sporty hybrid will be faster and lighter.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    supersonic wrote:
    Unless the bridleway has huge boulders and craters on it, a sporty hybrid will be faster and lighter.

Mountain bikes are rubbish commuters. Get a hybrid or spend more and get a cyclo cross bike.
  • middlep
    middlep Posts: 3
    Sounds like I may have had poor advice then!

This is the bridleway I'll be taking...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marriott's_Way

I guess based on the conditions a hybrid would be more suitable? Do you have any recommendations for a hybrid in my price range (or is it best to create a new post on one of the other forums?)?
  • supersonic
    Best for this price is this bike:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fit-5-road-b ... 39798.html

However you might find that the tyres are a bit thin and lacking in knobbles. Is worth a look though, and discussing tyre options with them if you can visit a store.

An MTB will do the job, but will be much heavier. However converting them can be an option ie rigid forks, narrower tyres and so on.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Hybrid bikes make little sense.
    A rigid mountain bike with high volume tyres like Big Apple or Supermoto will be a much better option, no question.
    Just as fast but much more comfortable and versatile.
    http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B3745.html?mv_pc=gp1
  • supersonic
    Hybrids vary so much though - is about getting the right one, or customising a bike. The sportier ones are more road oriented, but still handle well and are light with it. Ones with heavy undamped forks, 7 speed freewheels and low rent parts are not so hot.
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    If commuting is the name of the game, I'd say go for 29er/700c wheels, just to speed things up, whether it's on a mountain bike, drop-bar or hybrid (which are cool by me)

In my experience, a 26" wheel with a slick tyre is not as fast as a larger diameter wheel (simple mechanics tells you why). A move back to 26" wheels recently has added 4-5 mins to my commute. It may be easier to pedal than an equivelent sized knobbly, but it simply isn't as fast as a 29er size wheel.

Interestingly, when I swapped between my cyclocross bike and a full-sus 29er on Racing Ralphs, my journey time didn't change.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • I've got a mountain bike and a CX bike and for that commute a CX bike or a hybrid, like the others say, will be better.
    What about one of these?
    http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ross-bikes

I'd have got one if they had a small enough size.