broken fork help

creon
creon Posts: 2
edited July 2013 in MTB general
a month back i bought a maybe mid range hard tail ( wont go into too much detail here), first day out on the local trail and crack the front suspension forks really gives sending me a wallop to the ground.

now first thing i think when i see the damage is what a grey area i have to prove to the reatailer/manufacturer that there is really no reason why they should of broke like this, run over by a car, 20' drop,head on into a tree at 100mph - all a no, it was a month old and only used once on what was a test ride really i could forgive if id had them for 5 or so years.

anyway going through the net there really isnt much out there about broken crowns, stanchions and bridges and of what ive seen they were in extreme cases or back in the day after some abuse.

so where do i stand ive been in touch with the retailer who hasnt given much of an opinion only 'ill be back'. is this something that really happens once in a blue moon? and where do i stand here what are my options for replacement or refund upgrade etc

the bike wasnt cheap is a respected brand and really i feel a bit of a dick in my disappointment after lugging my bike of two halves down from the mountain when i could be out enjoying the weather. am i going to trust a replacement of the same spec and brand - no, i could have come off a lot worse than a bruised rib!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Need to know what the fork is, what terrain it was been used on, and what the exact damage is. Pictures will be good.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    As for warranties, some companies are far more accommodating than others. Some want to know the alignment of the stars and the colour of your underwear, others replace with no questions asked.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If you don't have any witnesses that can back you up all you can do is give them your side of the story and hope they believe it.

Should you trust the replacement? Assuming you were using the fork as intended, yeah why not? As your own research proves this was a rare occurrence doesn't happen all the time. Nothing is 100% perfect some faults will always happen.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Assume the bike was brand new when you bought it a month ago?
    So, when you reported the break to the shop you bought it from, they said ‘I’ll be back’, is that all?
    You should ask for a new fork to be fitted. Then see what they say.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20