Voodoo hoodoo rear brake help

MedwayComputers
MedwayComputers Posts: 34
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have a 6 month old voodoo hoodoo and the rear brake has never felt as good as the front.
Half a squeeze on the front and it locks up a full squeeze on the rear and it slows down but that's it.
I have had the rears re bled and re filled with new fluid but just the same.
What can I do next ?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what brakes?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • They are the original tektro hydraulic disc brakes
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try cleaning the rotors and fitting new pads. Then ensure are bedded in correctly.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How do you lube the chain/anything else around the rear?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Uli
    Uli Posts: 190
    Check for any signs of leakage on the caliper- wet patches often covered with dust or if the caliper feels "oily" when you touch it. Some Tektro batches have nasty habit of getting leaks from the caliper/piston seals. If properly bleed and clean they should work with no problems.
  • Thank you for your replies,
    Cooldad thats a good point I use a spray. I wonder if I have contaminated the pads.
    Whats the best thing to try cleaning the actually Rotors with?

Also is is easy to change the Pads?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Isopropyl alcohol for the rotors. Pads are generally easy to change.
    And don't spray anything near the bike. Ever.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Just found if I actually pump the brake a few times it does lock the rear wheel.
    It has been bled twice by different companies.
    Also the rear brake I can pull back the the handlebars yet the front is a lot stiffer.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    So either air in the system, underfilled or the pads are coming back from the disc, can you see a gap between pad and disc and is the disc warped? Any play in the hub?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I do know when the last guy bled the brakes they were still not good so he removed the wheel and applied little brake pressure to push the pads out hoping they would stay out a little then put the wheel back but as soon as he released the brake they went back in again.
    So yes you can see a slight gap.
    No sign of warping and no play in hub.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That gap is the issue.....could be due to underfilling (effectivelyrunning out of fluid to hold them out) or needing time to settle (aligning caliper and doing as above a bit more aggresively will help).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    Try pumping the lever a few times till it stiffens then wrap an elastic band around them and leave it overnight. Don't know how or why but it worked on my Auriga comps.
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • I will give it ago, thanks