15 years after...

PT_in_BRAcKNELL
PT_in_BRAcKNELL Posts: 46
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

After being 15 years absent of MTB... I will now restart riding. I live in Warfiled, Bracknell and as I am new in the region I gess I will have some good rides to discover!

I am planning my next bike and I have a few questions... So all the help is appreciated! :wink:

As 15 years ago I had a custom bike with a Sunn Vertigo 2 frame, I am not a fan of buying "production" bikes, simply because I feel that for the same budget we can get a better equipped bike!

So now I’ve started to research what’s in the market, what has changed and, curiously I don’t think there are revolutionary changes (apart from the disk brakes and the generalisation of the carbon frames)…

So enough of blablabla, going to the important, I have a budget of around £1600 for now and I came up with the following list:

Handlebar + Bar Ends
Truvativ Noir T40 Flat Bars 2013 - £69
Easton EC90 Carbon Bar Ends - £57
Weight 191 gr

Headset
Crank Brothers Cobalt C XC Headset - £19 - 65 gr

Disk Brakes
Avid Elixir 9 Carbon Disc Brake - Grey 2013 - £190 (pair) - 770 gr

Gear Change
SRAM X0 3x10sp Grip Shift Shifter - £129 (pair) - 574 gr

Fork
2013 SR SUNTOUR EPICON X2 LO-R lite 26” MTB Lockout Suspension - £170 - 1650 gr

Stem
FSA OS-99 CSI Stem – £51 – 98gr

Front Derailleur
SRAM X0 3x10sp High Clamp Front Mech - £50 – 145 gr

Cassette
SRAM PG1070 10 Speed MTB Cassette - £45 – 359 gr

Cranks
FSA K-Force Light BB30 MTB Chainset 10sp - £215 – 641 gr (BB included)

Chain
SRAM PC1071 10 Speed Hollow Pin Chain- £27 – 259 gr

Pedals
Crank Brothers Eggbeater 2 MTB Pedals - £62 – 272 gr

Saddle
Selle Italia SLR XP Classic Shape Saddle £70 – 180 gr

Seatpost
Ritchey WCS 1-Bolt Seatpost 2013 £63 – 195 gr

Seat Clamp
Ratio Carbon Seat Clamp - £16 – 12 gr

Front derailleur
SRAM X9 10 Speed Rear Mech £52 – 204 gr

Wheels
Mavic 2013 Crossride Disc Centre Lock Wheelset - £170 – 1815 gr

Tyres
Maxxis Larsen Mimo Tyre - Exception Series - £40 - 750 gr (pair)

Frame
Raleigh Team Hardtail Frame Carbon mix – £160 – 1740 gr

Total - £1655 – 9920 gr

I think all the cables are included on the components, i.e. brakes and gears… But if I am missing something let me know please, also if anything is not compatible or you find something better for the same price let me know.

Every comment is appreciated!

Cheers everyone!

Comments

• twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    Hi and welcome back to mountain bikes :mrgreen:

TBH your list looks like three things to me.

1. A visit to chainreactions web site
    2. A selection of components based on weight.
    3. A bike build based on your riding and bike style of 15 years ago. (ie long and flat with bars ends)

I'd be inclined to have a ride on a few factory bikes first to make sure you go for a style and riding position you are happy with today and not 15 years ago.

It will be almost impossible to offer much opinion on your build list, as people will only offer opinions based on their riding and expectations, although the frame and crankset wouldn't be on my list.

Also, don't be so quick to dismiss shop builds etc, as something like a Whippet build from on-one would be very close to your spec.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    where on earth do you get an FSA OS-99 CSI Stem for – £51 ? or Raleigh Team Hardtail Frame Carbon mix for £160 ? think your prices are a bit off the mark !
    TBH your always be better off buying a complete bike...can also customise by flogging the bits you dont like !
  • twonks
    turnerjohn wrote:
    where on earth do you get an FSA OS-99 CSI Stem for – £51 ? or Raleigh Team Hardtail Frame Carbon mix for £160 ? think your prices are a bit off the mark !
    TBH your always be better off buying a complete bike...can also customise by flogging the bits you dont like !
    Didn't you see my post before pressing submit, as CRC have both on offer.
    Not sure if the frame is actually a carbon mix, but the price and weight are right.

I agree with you though, in that a built bike is normally always better value.
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    twonks wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:
    Didn't you see my post before pressing submit, as CRC have both on offer.
    Not sure if the frame is actually a carbon mix, but the price and weight are right.

I agree with you though, in that a built bike is normally always better value.

yes but the only os-99 csi stem they have for £51 is a 130mm one....you'd be nuts to put that on an MTB ! the 90mm one is £139 !
    doubt the frame is full carbon but its got to fit the guy or no point in buying it !
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Tbh, there's a lot of unnecessary, name-brand stuff in there (brakes, cranks, stem, seatpost, all that handlebar gubbins). Apart from looking further afield than CRC, I'd also prioritise forks (at minimum a Rockshox Reba) and wheels (max 1800g, preferably 1600-1700g and handbuilt), and a decent frame obviously (probably an On One ScandAl). You should be able to piece together a much better bike than that for £1600 (the Inbred in my sig. was only about £900 and only about a kg heavier, so there should be plenty of room).
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback!

Twonks you're spot on! :mrgreen: I am tempted to say that you either work for CRC, in the industry or you are a great addicted! :wink:

Yes, I was making the list based on my experience 15 years ago… and on the fact that I wanted a light and reliable bike! :roll:

All the scenarios are open as I am investigating. So I will investigate a little more the factory bikes… But still I am inclined to customise! 8)

So what would be your frame and crankset of choice? :P

Cheers!
  • twonks
    :lol: I don't work for CRC, but the list looks like there products as I remember the frame when I was looking myself.

The reason I commented on your wish list essentially being a 15 yr old design is that unless you have rode an mtb for those 15 years - things have moved on and your body will not be the same as it was.

I know this all too well as I am 42 in six weeks so have been where you are ;)

Personally I'd stay with Shimano and go for Deore or SLX as a minimum. XT isn't the massive step it was 15 years ago when SLX and Deore LX was around. Sure it is a bit lighter but functionality is almost the same from top to bottom of the range nowadays (excluding the real entry stuff)

Forks, Rebas are a good buy and wheels are down to personal preference and intended riding.

For the riding that I think you are after, I'd look towards an on one scandal or whippet (same geometry but carbon). They will allow you to pick components and choose things carefully.

I had a Scandal and it rode very well indeed, but I fancied a little bit more of a play bike so got a Carbon 456 and bigger forks.

After that I sound like a rep for On One. :lol: I assure you I'm not and other shops are just as helpful.

Something like a Merlin Malt from Merlin in Lancashire might be worth a look too.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I think the build is good but can be done better. The wheels are lardy - I'd buy a cheaper front mech and put the extra into better wheels. I'd also go for a Reba or Sid fork. Also have a look at Exotic parts form Carbon Cycles.

I doubt the gripshifters weigh that much! Though you will find the overall build will be heavier than the listed parts ie brake fitting parts/bolts, grease, cables and so on.

Then compare to these ;-)

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b67s2p42 ... %282012%29

• twonks wrote:
    :lol: I don't work for CRC, but the list looks like there products as I remember the frame when I was looking myself.

The reason I commented on your wish list essentially being a 15 yr old design is that unless you have rode an mtb for those 15 years - things have moved on and your body will not be the same as it was.

I know this all too well as I am 42 in six weeks so have been where you are ;)

Personally I'd stay with Shimano and go for Deore or SLX as a minimum. XT isn't the massive step it was 15 years ago when SLX and Deore LX was around. Sure it is a bit lighter but functionality is almost the same from top to bottom of the range nowadays (excluding the real entry stuff)

Forks, Rebas are a good buy and wheels are down to personal preference and intended riding.

For the riding that I think you are after, I'd look towards an on one scandal or whippet (same geometry but carbon). They will allow you to pick components and choose things carefully.

I had a Scandal and it rode very well indeed, but I fancied a little bit more of a play bike so got a Carbon 456 and bigger forks.

After that I sound like a rep for On One. :lol: I assure you I'm not and other shops are just as helpful.

Something like a Merlin Malt from Merlin in Lancashire might be worth a look too.

Yes I know, I'm heavier, slower, I'm older! :mrgreen:

Well I think I will have to look into those... On One! :lol::wink:

The XT groupset is the alternative that I was considering also... But I've a lot of questions for the moment!

The On One carbon 456 is very nice… The more I look the more questions I have!

Nevertheless, I will continue to look and making some questions! :mrgreen:

Thanks and cheers!
  • supersonic wrote:
    I think the build is good but can be done better. The wheels are lardy - I'd buy a cheaper front mech and put the extra into better wheels. I'd also go for a Reba or Sid fork. Also have a look at Exotic parts form Carbon Cycles.

I doubt the gripshifters weigh that much! Though you will find the overall build will be heavier than the listed parts ie brake fitting parts/bolts, grease, cables and so on.

Then compare to these ;-)

Yes the configuration on those aren't so far from what I was thinking! Thanks for the links!

Nevertheless, the more I look around the more money I want to spend!! :mrgreen::mrgreen:

But I am trying to reconfigure the setup, so that I include a better fork and frame!

Anyway I appreciate the suggestions as they are helping me looking into “ready to ride” bikes! :P :D:mrgreen:

Cheers!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    But the fork and frame in your initial post are seriously inferior.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    But the fork and frame in your initial post are seriously inferior.

After all the comments I am turning my head around!! :mrgreen:

I think that there are On-one's setups that are almost perfect, and if the guys allow to change 1 or 2 things I will go for it!

Cheers to all! :wink: