Clipless Pedals, really required, I mean, really?

Comments

• zardoz
    zardoz Posts: 251
    my understanding of athletic events is that generally about 70% is mental and the rest physical.

Sorry but you obviously have no understanding of Athletic Events then. Its a combination of things but mostly its about hard work and talent.

As for riding the TDF, good luck with that! All you have to do is get yourself in the top 200 riders in the world and away you go. Overtaking a couple of "Amateurs" on carbon bikes is a good start though. :roll:

On a less flippant note, if you are watching the TDF you will notice that not many are riding with flat pedals........there is a reason for this.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    turnerjohn wrote:

have to start off Cat 4 racing...win races get points, move up to Cat 3 and again get points / win races and if you dont keep doing that you drop down to Cat 4 again...

Wrong. Once you reach 3rd cat, there are no points needed to maintain it. BTW, the OP is clearly trolling. Suprised nobody has realised that...
  • Indeed. The troll must be stuffed now, what with so many of you feeding him.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    wytco0 wrote:
    A slightly different view as I am not a racer I am a beginner who does not know much about riding But.,... I just fine being clipped in is more comfortable and I feel more part of the bike especially on hills.

Ditto. I've just switched to clipless pedals despite a) being quite happy on flat platforms and b) being extremely nervous about using clipless pedals. I can't say I have found my performance noticeably enhanced by the change, but my foot position is better and so aches I used to get are no more and I feel more 'at one' with the bike - it feels much more secure having a positive connection to the pedals.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Imposter wrote:
    BTW, the OP is clearly trolling. Suprised nobody has realised that...

I'm surprised that you think that nobody has realised that :D
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I don't time anything, i just watch people that I pass..

Thanks for everyone's advice, i will take this all into account.

Have you ever stopped to ponder that you only overtake people who are riding slower than you? :wink:
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    7.23 - dead set against clipless with numerous arguments against them.
    7.35 - he's caved and looking to buy some.

Good arguing fellas !
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    You could ride in wellies if you wanted to. It's not a good idea, but you could.

Clipless pedals are much, much nicer to ride in. Get some, I can't promise they'll make you faster, but you won't regret it either way.
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • NewTTer
    NewTTer Posts: 463
    Indeed. The troll must be stuffed now, what with so many of you feeding him.
    No this guy is real, extremely bizarre granted but real, see his other threads, where he is no longer a cycling god but a clown who doesn't understand gear indexing
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    i'v still got a 4" scar down the back of my right calf from my (non-clipped) foot slipping of my mountain bike pedal 15 years ago. I've used clipless ever since and feel a lot safer. Oh and I've never had a 'clipless moment' lol

I do sometimes like to pull to give a moments respite to my thighs as well, but the main reason is that scar. it really did hurt like hell at the time!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Neil_aky wrote:
    Most of the performance is about you, not the bike, not the pedals but you.

It is a good feeling overtaking someone who is on a really expensive bike wearing all the kit (I take pleasure from it);

Am really confused by your comments.
    You just seem to be jealous of people with decent kit and want to vent your disappointment when you find one that you are fitter than lol.

If the bike made a lot of difference then I could understand feeling good about it (i.e. passing a fast bike on a slow one), but as you had said yourself that it does not then the only difference you are really highlighting is cash!

How do you feel when you pass someone else on a Triban, or a Viking or something?
    How do you feel when someone on a proper bike and wearing the correct clothing passes you?

I say 'proper bike' in relation to your Triban, as if it were not for some of the more established brands and technology that you seem to despise, Tribans would not even exist.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    It would also suggest that you have pulled along side them and have challenged them to a drag race-how do you know they aren't warming down or just taking it easy? Racing is only skill full if both parties know they're racing.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Neil_aky wrote:

It is a good feeling overtaking someone who is on a really expensive bike wearing all the kit

Who do you think feels best at that moment, you or the guy on his really expensive bike?

And do you think he feels better, worse or no different when he see's your really cheap (the cheapest you can get) bike go by?
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    After being a skeptic, I finally went clipless after riding flats.

And to be perfectly honest - I think they make no difference whatsoever apart from making my rides more dangerous. I cannot feel any 'pulling' effect from the bottom that people speak of, even on steep hills. However I will continue to ride semi-clipless. By that I mean I will be reverting back to my clipless pedals that have a platform on one side, and clipping in when I feel it safe enough to do so (just in case I have simply not been noticing any 'marginal gains').

These are my pedals now:
    shimano-pd-m520-spd-pedals-silver-IMG10226.jpg

And these are what I will be putting back on the bike:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEi0rwKX4iKsECJCa83Dyvs9Seh5UkfiqygqNdm--qe8C_w1qfQw
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its a massive difference to me. Clipless is far far better than straps and clips, which itself is far better than ordinary pedals. You have security in knowing your foot isnt going to slip off the pedal. I still have scars from a spill i took when sprinting in trainers. And that was 20 years ago.
  • NewTTer
    Bustacapp wrote:

And to be perfectly honest - I think they make no difference whatsoever apart from making my rides more dangerous. I cannot feel any 'pulling' effect from the bottom that people speak of, even on steep hills. However I will continue to ride semi-clipless. By that I mean I will be reverting back to my clipless pedals that have a platform on one side, and clipping in when I feel it safe enough to do so (just in case I have simply not been noticing any 'marginal gains').

These are my pedals now:

If you honestly believe they make your rides more dangerous, then you should give up riding as your competence level is questionable for you to be riding on the roads at all.
    What utter nonsense!
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    NewTTer wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:

These are my pedals now:

If you honestly believe they make your rides more dangerous, then you should give up riding as your competence level is questionable for you to be riding on the roads at all.
    What utter nonsense!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • Bustacapp
    NewTTer wrote:
    What utter nonsense!

Thanks for your well thought out opinion.

Well they certainly don't make my rides less dangerous do they? Logic dictates that pedals which have the potential to limit the release of feet can reasonably be considerd more dangerous than pedals that don't.

It's quite simple and I don't care how many of your giggling lemming 'forum buddies' agree with you.
  • NewTTer
    Bustacapp wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    What utter nonsense!

Well they certainly don't make my rides less dangerous do they? Logic dictates that pedals which have the potential to limit the release of feet can reasonably be considerd more dangerous than pedals that don't.

It's quite simple and I don't care how many of your giggling lemming 'forum buddies' agree with you.
    Logic also dictates that 2 tonne of fast moving car, heading towards someone who doesnt have the ability or common sense to operate a quick release pedal system will render life extinct in said person, so stay off the roads. Seems you have the lemming tendancies.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Bustacapp wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    What utter nonsense!

They made my riding less dangerous, used to be my fleet would often slip on the pedals or otherwise lose contact e.g. when changing gear, that doesn't happen any more.
  • Bustacapp
    NewTTer wrote:
    Logic also dictates that 2 tonne of fast moving car, heading towards someone who doesnt have the ability or common sense to operate a quick release pedal system will render life extinct in said person, so stay off the roads. Seems you have the lemming tendancies.

Logic again dictates that 'no need to worry or think about quick release' is still faster than 'quick release' in terms of reaction times.

And also - LOL at your one and only hypothesis.
  • Bustacapp
    They made my riding less dangerous, used to be my fleet would often slip on the pedals or otherwise lose contact e.g. when changing gear, that doesn't happen any more.

They made my riding more dangerous. My feet would never slip on the pedals or otherwise lose contact e.g. when changing gear, that still doesn't happen any more.
  • NewTTer
    Bustacapp wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:
    What utter nonsense!

As you quote logic, you seem to have also over looked, the nanny state in which we live, where the majority suffer under pathetic Health and Safety rules to protect the daft minority (judging by your comments so far thats you!). So if they were truly dangerous for a normal person of reasonable mind, they would surely be banned!
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp wrote:
    They made my riding more dangerous. My feet would never slip on the pedals or otherwise lose contact e.g. when changing gear, that still doesn't happen.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Bustacapp wrote:
    They made my riding more dangerous. My feet would never slip on the pedals or otherwise lose contact e.g. when changing gear, that still doesn't happen any more.

Cool then. If you find flats better for you, then excellent, they are what suit you best. It doesn't follow they are inherently bad however.
  • Bustacapp
    NewTTer wrote:
    As you quote logic, you seem to have also over looked, the nanny state in which we live, where the majority suffer under pathetic Health and Safety rules to protect the daft minority (judging by your comments so far thats you!). So if they were truly dangerous for a normal person of reasonable mind, they would surely be banned!

The nanny state in which we live makes little sense. I really wouldn't bother citing it as part of an argument.
  • Bustacapp
    Cool then. If you find flats better for you, then excellent, they are what suit you best. It doesn't follow they are inherently bad however.

I merely pointed out that I found them more dangerous than flats, and that I found no benefit from them.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Bustacapp wrote:
    NewTTer wrote:

Logic again dictates that 'no need to worry or think about quick release' is still faster than 'quick release' in terms of reaction times.

And also - LOL at your one and only hypothesis.

Or.. Logic dictates that 'no need to worry or think about feet slipping from pedals' is safer than 'oops I hit a pothole, my feet slipped and now I'm sliding along tarmac on my face'.

Really though, the only time I've had to get my feet out in a hurry from my spd's I've been able to yank them out directly. Speed didn't come into it and I doubt it was much slower than not being clipped in. The reduction in near misses from feet bouncing off the pedals due to some unseen road defect is very noticeable however.

These are my experiences of course, everyones will be different.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • Bustacapp
    MrSweary wrote:
    These are my experiences of course, everyones will be different.
    quite..
    MrSweary wrote:
    near misses from feet bouncing off the pedals due to some unseen road defect is very noticeable however.
    this experience (or lack thereof) being a fine example.
  • bondurant
    bondurant Posts: 858
    Point of order

No anecdotal evidence admissible in court please, ladies and gentlemen. With the exception of that submitted by our learned friend of course.