A hills thread...going down not up this time!

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
A question - I am becoming a bit of a climbing expert, I'm now 10st 2, which I'm sure helps, but I really struggle to keep up on downhills.

I'm an ex MTBer, so I don't think it's fear, but my 'heavier' mates leave me for dead on the downhill bits (especially there are any corners involved). Are there any good descending tips? I've tried tucking!
Insert bike here:

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Being another 60Kg rider, I can only say that you'll never quite keep up with them - not without putting a lot of effort in or getting a really tight tuck. That's life really.

Us light riders are generally going to struggle to keep up on downhills, but should blow the fatties away on the uphills! :D

We're in trouble in a headwind as well - so don't annoy your heavier mates too much so they'll be happy to let you sit in when things get windy!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Yup I am afraid Mass > aero on the way down! I have the same issue when out on a club meander with some of our heavier chaps. I also reckon a couple just have more bottle than I have
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Calpol wrote:
    Yup I am afraid Mass > aero on the way down! I have the same issue when out on a club meander with some of our heavier chaps. I also reckon a couple just have more bottle than I have

quite, being a MTBer by trade plus reasonably heavy and by freewheeling down (since my roadie is a SS ) I don't tend to be slower than all but the fastest.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,130
    the heavier ones will accelerate faster, but if you're getting left on the corners then you can probably improve that by working on technique

if you're lighter you should be able to brake later/harder and be more aggressive on corners than the heavier guys (assuming no nasty crosswinds), they'll still be faster on the straights and gentle curves, but anywhere braking is needed should be a chance to claw a bit back

this has much good advice on descending...

http://www.flammerouge.je/factsheets/descend.htm
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    sungod wrote:
    the heavier ones will accelerate faster, but if you're getting left on the corners then you can probably improve that by working on technique

if you're lighter you should be able to brake later/harder and be more aggressive on corners than the heavier guys (assuming no nasty crosswinds), they'll still be faster on the straights and gentle curves, but anywhere braking is needed should be a chance to claw a bit back

this has much good advice on descending...

http://www.flammerouge.je/factsheets/descend.htm

Great link that, cheers!

The headwind thing had never occurred to me, I do find myself working pretty hard into headwinds.
    Insert bike here:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    mpatts wrote:
    The headwind thing had never occurred to me, I do find myself working pretty hard into headwinds.

Where as headwinds are really easy for us heavier riders - NOT!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    smidsy wrote:
    mpatts wrote:

Where as headwinds are really easy for us heavier riders - NOT!

No but heavier riders in gerneral wil be more powerful, assuming they are fitness heavy, not just a bucket of lard on a bike.

Battling a headwind is more about power than power to weight. For climbing power to weight is more important.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You need to make up time on the uphills so by the time you've all descended again - everyone's about equal. Big units will descend faster than skinny mountain goats.