Impressions of riding style

napoleond
napoleond Posts: 5,992
edited August 2013 in Pro race
I found this quite amusing. Hat tip to inrng and deanodowning on twitter. Apologies if posted already, I'm on a lot of meds.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=THA59sKBkF ... 3Dyoutu.be
Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
ABCC Cycling Coach

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Haha, that's good. If you didn't know the Evans one as soon as he came round the corner, you need to watch more cycling!
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Style is often down to being 'camera kind' don't you think? Take football for instance (I know we shouldn't) but Beckham (not his looks, his play) were always camera friendly, Gerrard for instance, who in is prime was dead solid, the camera on him may not have shown things to people not in the know that look flash, but certainly we're. Go back a few years and McMannaman's footwork looked very camera friendly, but did it amount to much?

...dunno what I'm on about there, but sometimes the camera friendly stuff doesn't amount to much, a slinky climbing style for instance might look good, but could actually be a bit inefficient. Might be efficient in making you have a man crush if you were so inclined though :)

(this comment was based on the title, I never looked at the link Nap :) )
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Liking that, the Evans one is excellent.
  • theknowledge
    theknowledge Posts: 223
    The worst one was Tyler Farrar. I mean, when was the last time you saw him cross the line with his hands in the air?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    Don't seem to be able to load this. Anyone tell me how I view this on a computer (you remember, those desktop thingies you all had back in the day)?

Edit - found the desktop version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THA59sKBkF0
  • Ride hard
    Ride hard Posts: 389
    Good spot.

Funny as.The Evans and Tommy one get tops mark in particular. I've always wondered how lil Tommy gets any forward motion at all in the mountains when most of his energy seems to to going into lateral movement.
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I feel it's safe to admit now that if I'm bored on a ride I pretend to ride like certain riders.

Kiryenka is the best, although I do go into a slight trance
  • napoleond
    With all my injuries I think I unwittingly emulate Denis Menchov...
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    edited July 2013
    I'm assuming the only reason there isn't a Froome impression on that is that he kept crashing when he was looking down.
    I feel it's safe to admit now that if I'm bored on a ride I pretend to ride like certain riders.

I bet your ride mates love that. "Christ, I'm knackered, let's get TTHR to do his Kiryenka impression on the front again"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,629
    Great little vid. Contador is spot on
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    I actually expected him to chuck himself on the deck for the Tyler Farrar one- or at least have two or three other riders come past him before the line.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    Don't seem to be able to load this. Anyone tell me how I view this on a computer (you remember, those desktop thingies you all had back in the day)?

If you happen across any other links like that, you can just remove the "m." from the start of it and it'll load the desktop version of youtube
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    adr82 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

If you happen across any other links like that, you can just remove the "m." from the start of it and it'll load the desktop version of youtube

Or even just click on the handy "Desktop" link at the top of the page :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • napoleond
    Sorry folks, I tend to just use my phone for everything!
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Paul 8v

I usually imitate Andy Schleck by riding off the back... :mrgreen:
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    adr82 wrote:
    Mad_Malx wrote:

Or even just click on the handy "Desktop" link at the top of the page :-)

Rather frighteningly, in the early days (mid-late 80s), I was the man everyone came to when they had IT problems. I still think blue screen Wordperfect 5.1 was the pinnacle of word processing for speed and ease.
  • Rundfahrt
    Rundfahrt Posts: 551
    edited July 2013
    Was I the only one noting riders idiosyncrasies during today's stage after watching this video yesterday?
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    smithy21 wrote:
    I actually expected him to chuck himself on the deck for the Tyler Farrar one- or at least have two or three other riders come past him before the line.

Or get off his bike and try and get onto a bus and punch someone.
  • Lightning
    Lightning Posts: 360
    Thanks for sharing, that's hilarious :D

Lost it when I saw TV's impression.
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    mfin wrote:
    Go back a few years and McMannaman's footwork looked very camera friendly, but did it amount to much?
    Helped him win two Champions Leagues with the biggest club in the world, to be fair.
  • jamie1012
    jamie1012 Posts: 171
    Rundfahrt wrote:
    Was I the only one noting riders idiosyncrasies during today's stage after watching this video yesterday?
    No, every time I saw Contador today I smiled.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I wrestled a swan to the ground, earlier today. That was my Gaultier impression.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    NapoleonD wrote:

When wiping your arse I find bog roll works better than a phone.
  • napoleond
    NapoleonD wrote:

When wiping your ars* I find bog roll works better than a phone.

I went to my mum and dads last week for a couple of nights. I asked my mum for a newspaper. She said that they just use the iPad now and passed it me.

Tell you what, that spider didn't know what hit it.
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Paul 8v
    NapoleonD wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

When wiping your ars* I find bog roll works better than a phone.

I went to my mum and dads last week for a couple of nights. I asked my mum for a newspaper. She said that they just use the iPad now and passed it me.

Tell you what, that spider didn't know what hit it.
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Thanks for that (and thanks MadMax for the other link). "Tommy" really made me laugh :lol: and Cadel. :lol: Tho' I thought as he went round the last corner there was a hint of Cunego with Contador!
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    D'oh! I've just reposted this unwittingly. Apparently I don't possess the ability to read more than 3 threads down...
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Not sure we needed the (naked?) guy sitting on the bed slowly rocking from side to side at the start and end...
    Good impressions though!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    THIS IS BRILLIANT :lol::lol:

I hope there are a few more follow up.

Voeckler one was spot on! They could have used EBH`s one handed babyish salute and could have asked me to demonstrate Contador`s style though :wink:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Thanks made me laugh, even having just watched the England women's football match. Believe me, it did nothing for my demeanour.