Politics ?

pinno
pinno Posts: 52,090
edited May 2016 in Pro race
Probably been covered.

Without a doubt, Wiggo has Froome to thank for last years tour win.

Wiggo had a sh!t Giro. Is it possible that he wanted another go at the TdF but Froome had been selected and Wiggo owed him the support (al la Lemond/Hinault - 86)?. Even at 95%, Wiggo could have given Froome a massive support role.
Instead Sky are looking vulnerable and after yesterdays stage where Saxo Tinkoff/Belkin attacked on what was supposed to be an inocuous day, suddenly Froome looks a little exposed.
I think its bah humbug from Wiggo.
seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,028
    Another kitten bites the dust :cry:
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Another kitten bites the dust :cry:

:lol::lol::lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It just goes to show that you should pick the team after the event, not before.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,537
    Wiggins always strikes me as very selfish and I couldn't see him riding for anyone else*. The only reason he would have ridden the tour would have been for himself and for the win. This is a shame really as he owes Froome both for last year's tour and the vuelta in 2011.

*This is my humble subjective opinion and is not based on a great amount of research or personal knowledge.
  • ddraver
    It also ignores many many more years of riding for others at Garmin, Cofidis and others before he became Sky's GC man. Oh and a few classics seasons riding for Gee, EBH and Flecha too
    - @ddraver
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    ddraver wrote:
    It also ignores many many more years of riding for others at Garmin, Cofidis and others before he became Sky's GC man. Oh and a few classics seasons riding for Gee, EBH and Flecha too
    And busting his balls for Cav at the Olympics.
  • TheBigBean
    The best counter example to my statement would be the Worlds in 2011. He did put in a selfless shift for Cav then, but a lot of that was repayment for the Beijing incident.

I think Millar and Vaughters felt he was pretty thankless for Garmin's efforts in 2009 and at Confidis he rode the time trials and finished in the bus. Maybe he was working for someone then, but Confidis aren't that noticeable.

Bear in my mind I think this attitude is quite common amongst competitors - it's the sort of thing that makes you win.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    TheBigBean wrote:
    The best counter example to my statement would be the Worlds in 2011. He did put in a selfless shift for Cav then, but a lot of that was repayment for the Beijing incident.

I think Millar and Vaughters felt he was pretty thankless for Garmin's efforts in 2009 and at Confidis he rode the time trials and finished in the bus. Maybe he was working for someone then, but Confidis aren't that noticeable.

Bear in my mind I think this attitude is quite common amongst competitors - it's the sort of thing that makes you win.
    I think that is a fair comment. Working for somebody else when you've already claimed the prize yourself might be a very alien concept to a winner.
  • ddraver
    Especially the year after. I think if Wiggo had won in 2011 and Nibbles in 2012 it would have been a bit different
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    TheBigBean wrote:
    This is a shame really as he owes Froome both for last year's tour and the vuelta in 2011.

Does he though? Would the reported £1million a year pay rise not cover it?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean wrote:
    This is a shame really as he owes Froome both for last year's tour and the vuelta in 2011.

Does he though? Would the reported £1million a year pay rise not cover it?

That works both ways - for the salary Wiggins is on he should be riding in support of Froome this year. But yes, you can take the view they are both employees and only have a duty to the employer.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,660
    Rob Ruijgh goes all political....

CjzcdHYVEAA0bAq.jpg