Boardman and Francis all is forgiven...

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited July 2013 in Pro race
How bad are the wii sponsor trailers if they leave me longing for Chris' bland cliches or even Francis' tedious statements...?

Comments

• skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    :-)
  • typekitty
    typekitty Posts: 188
    Totally miss the, 'Boardman. Born on Tour.' Need Quantum Leap to precede it, though.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,811
    I like them, it's good to see major, "non-cycling" sponsors supporting the coverage
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I must admit I pause it at the vintage photos to have a look, best bit about the adverts.
  • Paul 8v
    typekitty wrote:
    Totally miss the, 'Boardman. Born on Tour.' Need Quantum Leap to precede it, though.

Bloody love quantum leap, he should have made another series of that rather than Enterprise!
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    skylla wrote:

Nice vid and makes you realize how strong tour riders are as they breeze up these passes. :roll:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    the bald father who says "well done son" and hugs him after he's basically waved a piece of plastic about is my favourite.

You obviously don't need to do anything other than sit on your @rse and play games to impress your father these days...
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Smashing it by a river, amazing, loved it.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • fudbeer
    fudbeer Posts: 118
    maddog 2 wrote:
    the bald father who says "well done son" and hugs him after he's basically waved a piece of plastic about is my favourite.

You obviously don't need to do anything other than sit on your @rse and play games to impress your father these days...
    :lol::lol::lol: so true!
    Currently I have been mostly riding a Specialized Roubaix Comp
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    Smashing it by a river, amazing, loved it.

I'd almost erased that from my mind, and then you remind me of the horror. grrrrr
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    My least favourite part of the ads on ITV4 this year is the trailer for the cycle show.

That woman who says "sum it up in one word? Mega! Haha" drives me nuts. She might be lovely, the series and that feature might be fantastic, but repeatedly hearing her say "sum it up in one word? Mega! Haha" is slowly pushing me over the edge!
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    I was hoping to get through the race without being reminded of the hideous "Tour de Francis" !!!!
  • On_What
    On_What Posts: 516
    I used to enjoy a spot of Minder prior to tour highlights. They should do Minder trailers in between coverage.

Has to be better than watching all these plebs playing the Wii with their tongues hanging out :|
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Hardly an original post I know , but just so good.

This is how it's done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=243BJu0zB50
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I'm amusing myself trying to guess the ages of the fat bald men in the wii adverts
    - from the ages of their kids and their wives they're a lot younger than me but I'm wearing far better

Worst is that family where the woman has teeth like a guinea pig, can't take my eyes off them when she's on
  • Paul 8v
    hipshot wrote:

This is how it's done...

Really miss that music!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Try watching the highlights on ITV Player. It's just ads, and then the programme just goes blank, so you have to restart and then they show all the ads again that you can't forward.

And with the standard of today's ads that is less than ideal. If only Ad Agencies were allowed to write creatively by their Clients like they used to, we'd all be winners. As it is, budgets and fees have been slowly squeezed to the bare minimum, as has creative time, as has the amount of influence an Agency has which has led to a crock of sh*te being produced, an absence of brand building, an absence of humour, an absence of cleverness due to having to cater for the lowest common denominator...
  • At least Boardman is smiling and attempting to have a personality this year. Him and Ned are almost Morcambe and Wise.

I did enjoy the 'wind tunnel' snippets, at least a bit informative.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    The first thing I said to the Mrs about this years ITV coverage is that it appears to be sponsored by 'Fat men on a sofa'.

And I agree about the Cycle Show trailer, that blond woman is quite possibly the most irritating thing I've seen all year (mega, heheheheheh)
  • cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    And with the standard of today's ads that is less than ideal. If only Ad Agencies were allowed to write creatively by their Clients like they used to, we'd all be winners. As it is, budgets and fees have been slowly squeezed to the bare minimum, as has creative time, as has the amount of influence an Agency has which has led to a crock of sh*te being produced, an absence of brand building, an absence of humour, an absence of cleverness due to having to cater for the lowest common denominator...[/quote]

I agree about the ads, and they just reinforce the fact that the cycling coverage itself hasn't changed much- it's still Phil Ligget and Co, and the programme's format hasn't really altered since Channel 4 first started covering the TdF.

Personally I'm grateful to ITV for leaving it alone- it would be easy for them to put a 15 year old marketing twerp in charge who would try to broaden it's appeal by jazzing it up with more youthful 'presenters'. The adverts are the price we have to pay for getting it free- the BBC doesn't really 'get' cycling and never has.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    If you haven't read it, there is a great article in the Cycling Anthology Vol 2 about the Channel 4/ITV show and the guy who created it... highly recommended...
  • binkybike
    binkybike Posts: 104
    hipshot wrote:

This is how it's done...

this made me very happy. they had some other music that was class too, i can't remember if it was closing credits or just incidental music?
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    binkybike wrote:
    hipshot wrote:

This is how it's done...

this made me very happy. they had some other music that was class too, i can't remember if it was closing credits or just incidental music?

Cant beat the original Pete Shelley theme tune...shame you cant get it anywhere.

Usually look forward to ITV4's extended closing credits/montage following the last highlights show, the past few years have been excellent. Got to say this year's was shite
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    That's my ring tone that is. minus the intro bit. Better than the TDF car horn that was too abusive!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    AFAIK phil and paul have a contract to supply syndicated commentary - anyone know when they are up for renewal? we should campaign to get rid....
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    edhornby wrote:
    AFAIK phil and paul have a contract to supply syndicated commentary - anyone know when they are up for renewal? we should campaign to get rid....

Be careful what you wish for!
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • Paul 8v
    I quite like Phil and Paul...
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    dish_dash wrote:
    If you haven't read it, there is a great article in the Cycling Anthology Vol 2 about the Channel 4/ITV show and the guy who created it... highly recommended...

There is also Boulting's book.