L2B Moonride done.

mrfpb
mrfpb Posts: 4,569
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
http://connect.garmin.com/activity/341728206

This was both my first 50+ mile ride and my first 100+ km ride. Boy do my legs know about it. The event was really well organised, lots of choice of snack at the rest stops, decent cooked breakfast at the finish - you can tell their a class act as they included black pudding.

I posted a request for advice a few weeks ago, and thanks to everyone who replied. Ditchling Beacon was not actually the hardest part of the ride, that came in the first 25 miles. I stopped a couple of times on both climbs. Can't say I'm ashamed though, as I noticed far fitter/younger riders doing the same. The sun was up by the time I started climbing ditching and the views were fantastic.

Lessons learnt:

The London River bus is a fantastic way to transport your bike in the city. Staff are helpful, bike stands are nicely placed. However the boat I planned to catch was cancelled without notice so I had to wait an extra 20 minutes.

Traffic in London after 11.00 pm is similar to most cities in rush hour. A lot of the riders did not appear comfortable riding the 15 miles in the city.

I was very glad I had practised descending in the dark on country roads. My time would have been even slower otherwise.

Despite my legs screaming at me to stop and viciously punishing me all morning, now that I've had a bath and some more food. I realise I really enjoyed it and would do it again (but not tonight).

Comments

• cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Well done - glad you enjoyed it.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Well done, the nights are probably the best time to ride at the moment!
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    It was a really warm night. However my body hit a low point around 3.00 am, I got a serious case of the shivers at a rest stop. Fortunately I was warned it would happen, and I had an extra layer to put on for the next stage. I took it off again at the top of Ditchling Beacon, by then I was drenched with sweat again and the sun had been up for an hour.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    So THAT'S what that was... I was leaving the pub in Clapham on Fri night and saw clumps of cyclists with numbers passing through at about 11.30pm... Glad it went well
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • surfatwork
    surfatwork Posts: 82
    I did the ride too and agree it was very well organised. My timing was similar to yours and I also agree that Ditchling beacon was made out to be much more difficult than it actually was. I found the segment between the second and third rest stops the most painful - probably because I was cold and half asleep :-)
    2011 Scott S30
    2004 Trek 4500
    2009 Trek 7.1