Diagnose this click

alarustic
alarustic Posts: 24
edited July 2013 in Road general
I've got an issue whereby there is a click whenever I push down on the left pedal. It's only when under moderate to high load, so if I'm just spinning lightly it doesn't happen. The click happens when the crank is roughly a fifth of the way from top to bottom.

The crank appears to be correctly tightened, there is no movement in it. It is not the pedal that's the culprit as I swapped it for another and the problem persists.

I have an idea what the problem is but I'd like to know what you think.

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I had a similar problem, I took the crank off and, decreased it and refitted it. Problem solved.
    It took a bit of finding though :D :x
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Saddle loose
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Giss
    Giss Posts: 3
    Had a the same problem and found out that the BB had been fitted without any grease.
    Re-greased and no clicking!!!!!
  • alarustic
    alarustic Posts: 24
    I tightened the two small bolts that are at the bottom of the crank and that appears to have fixed it. I must get a torque wrench as I had to play 'guess the tightness.'
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Cleats / pedals are a notorious source of mysterious drivetrain noises. I had a similar noise and traced it to my cleats. Removed the cleats and refitted with PTFE tape on the threads - sorted.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • MattC59 wrote:
    I had a similar problem, I took the crank off and, decreased it and refitted it. Problem solved.

this
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    I was out on a ride yesterday and an annoying click developed. Every pedal rev and worse with power down. Now worried my BB is on the way out even thought I couldnt really detect it when bike was on the workstand a bit later! I guess the current one has done about 4000 miles and I have never regreased it. Have ordered a wrench and a new BB just in case. Don't want it seizing on RLS100!!
  • SpainSte
    SpainSte Posts: 181
    MattC59 wrote:

+1