Galant Thomas...

john1967
john1967 Posts: 366
edited August 2014 in Pro race
Geraint Thomas,what a bloody hero.The guy deserves a medal and he puts too shame those so called sportsmen who roll on the ground at the slightest touch.

i doff my cap sir.

Comments

• slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    He's my new favourite rider as a result. I've given him a huge cheer as he came past in each of the three stages I've been roadside for.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    As the person who started the when will G crash thread all I can say is Chappeau G.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    He's my new favourite rider as a result. I've given him a huge cheer as he came past in each of the three stages I've been roadside for.

You're just saying that to make the rest of us feel jealous...
    :mrgreen: and it's working.

Back on topic though - fantastic work G.
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    The sport of cycling is littered with examples of double-hard bastards who continue in races when they should really be back home, tucked up in bed.

Geraint Thomas, Peter Kennaugh and Tony Martin are but three from this Tour, Johhny Hoogerland after giving some barbed wire a sound thrashing in 2011, even Tyler Hamilton back in 2003 with his broken collarbone (his PEDs couldn't get him out of that hole). All incredible performances when carrying significant injuries that would keep most of us away from our ordinary, everyday jobs, never mind the hardest sport in the world.

The interesting question is: "Why do professional cyclists feel compelled to complete these races with significant injuries when the so-called "professional" soccer players hit the ground when they pass through the shadow of an opposing player?"

The culture in football seems to make it acceptable to dive, feign injury and manipulate the game to ensure your opponent is yellow or red-carded. Corruption in sport doesn't just come in a syringe. For all the bad that has occurred in cycling in recent times, the sport has a huge amount of good in it too.

DD.
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    They only dive because they can get away with it. If FIFA issued a directive saying that refs were to penalise all diving and swearing with red cards then it would soon clear up.

Football players get injections to play through pain, I think in most professional sports there are examples of players playing on while it is inadvisable to do so. See George Smith last week in the Lions game.

Cycling does seem pretty disposed to it though, its something to do with the way it is I suppose, huge distances covered, relatively very long time in the saddle (compared to a footy match), the history.

Go G. Although I would probably say its better to go back home, have a haircut and get mum to look after him until he is better.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Yes, chappeau G. Hard as nails.

I remember the Tour Merckx rode the last few stages with his broken jaw wired up from a crash. He could only take liquids, and he still took time back on the eventual winner through still attacking.
    I think there must have been something in chamois cream back then.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    MrTapir wrote:
    They only dive because they can get away with it. If FIFA issued a directive saying that refs were to penalise all diving and swearing with red cards then it would soon clear up.

Football players get injections to play through pain, I think in most professional sports there are examples of players playing on while it is inadvisable to do so. See George Smith last week in the Lions game.

Cycling does seem pretty disposed to it though, its something to do with the way it is I suppose, huge distances covered, relatively very long time in the saddle (compared to a footy match), the history.
    If cycling allowed substitutes like football & rugby Thomas would have gone home long ago.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Yeah I like Geraint and think he is a tough cookie with a spark of personality.

He is but one of many tough cookies in the peloton though and he is not the toughest or most worthy.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The interesting question is: "Why do professional cyclists feel compelled to complete these races with significant injuries when the so-called "professional" soccer players hit the ground when they pass through the shadow of an opposing player?"
    Because one's team can gain various advantages as a result of one their players being fouled in football - free kicks, penalties, the booking or sending off of an opposing player, or just a chance for a breather while play stops for a minute or two.

There are no such rules* in cycling, although if it were possible to get other teams penalised for various infringements I have absolutely no doubt that we'd similar behavior.

For a very good example of a sport where competitors not only compete with injuries that would have any sane individual moping on the sofa, but where they also take a dive and fake a bit of agony, look no further than speedway. It's a sport in which serious injury is commonplace, death is entirely on the cards, and yet because of the way the rules work still sees competitors deliberately parting company with their machinery in order to gain an advantage for themselves and their teams, and to disadvantage others.

* Okay, not true, but merely knocking each other off isn't enough to invoke them.
    Mangeur
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_mpshfek0CJ1qacyk6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mpqdbfB6Dn1rs3h6xo1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    Going slightly off topic, Charly Wegelius says in the extract of his book in this month's procycling that riders continue because it's their livelihood and they daren't miss a day's (or in G's case three weeks of) racing as it may mean they don't get offered as contract at the end of the season
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    In some cases yes. But a world of difference between Olympic Gold medallist and ex GB Road Champ G Thomas and C Wegelius. G isn't worried about not having a contract next year.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    It's also easier to carry on when you can sit on a bike.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    It's also easier to carry on when you can sit on a bike.

I guess that depends what the injury is.

For the record though, the whole idea that footballers are soft because they roll around whenever they're tackled is just daft. Yes it's theatrical, but it's purely about gaining and advantage.

The types of injury that footballers suffer is also different to most other sports, there aren't many where you'll regularly get a 90kg bloke powering into a joint as complex and delicate as your ankle, possibly while you have all your weight on it and are mid turn.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Agree G is hard, as FF says like many others in the pro peloton.

However, as Rick has also pointed out cycling isn't an impact sport, there are a lot of injuries that would cause immobilisation in many sports, but not cycling.

(Jaws-like shark bite comparing moment..... I carried on playing a 5 a side match with a broken ankle. My ankle felt very sore, but I just didn't realise I'd broken it).
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    The sport of cycling is littered with examples of double-hard bastards who continue in races when they should really be back home, tucked up in bed.

Geraint Thomas, Peter Kennaugh and Tony Martin are but three from this Tour, Johhny Hoogerland after giving some barbed wire a sound thrashing in 2011, even Tyler Hamilton back in 2003 with his broken collarbone (his PEDs couldn't get him out of that hole). All incredible performances when carrying significant injuries that would keep most of us away from our ordinary, everyday jobs, never mind the hardest sport in the world.

The interesting question is: "Why do professional cyclists feel compelled to complete these races with significant injuries when the so-called "professional" soccer players hit the ground when they pass through the shadow of an opposing player?"

The culture in football seems to make it acceptable to dive, feign injury and manipulate the game to ensure your opponent is yellow or red-carded. Corruption in sport doesn't just come in a syringe. For all the bad that has occurred in cycling in recent times, the sport has a huge amount of good in it too.

DD.
    +1
    You could also add cricket for both sides vis-a-vis Broad not walking this week but in the past players like Border batting with a broken fingue and McCosker with his jaw wired - but then they are, to quote David Duffield, 'battling Aussies.' :?
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Broad didn't need to walk. Play to the umpire like every Australian has done against England for 20years.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    TheHound wrote:
    Broad didn't need to walk. Play to the umpire like every Australian has done against England for 20years.
    I think he was fine too.

Umpire makes a bad decision in your favour: Tell him or it's unsporting
    Umpire makes a bad decision not in your favour: Tell him and it's unsporting.

Either tell him every time he's wrong or not at all.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • wombly_knees
    wombly_knees Posts: 657
    Yeah, but it's only different to Ramdin in that it had an official seal of approval. One gets suspended... Cheating, yeah, but everyone does when batting, especially the Australians. If he didn't walk based on the lack of reviews, then he's smarter than whatever he's shown as a bowler.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    hammerite wrote:
    However, as Rick has also pointed out cycling isn't an impact sport, there are a lot of injuries that would cause immobilisation in many sports, but not cycling.
    Hmm, I wonder what it was I felt that time when I came off on a descent whilst doing 70kph if it wasn't an impact?
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    DeadCalm wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    Hmm, I wonder what it was I felt that time when I came off on a descent whilst doing 70kph if it wasn't an impact?

Well it's an impact sport if things go wrong!

I think you probably understand the point I was trying to make. You are more likely to be able to continue carrying an injury riding a bike because there it's relatively low impact carrying out your normal duties (unless you crash again or hit a pot hole). Where as any sport that involves running is more likely to cause too much impact on an existing injury making it worse or making it too painful to continue.
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_mqjniqDQGn1qa7vsgo1_400.jpg

“I spoke to him after the end and said what was it like. He said the first week was agony. The second very, very painful and the third was just painful. He said it was getting better though,” said his father.

Article:
    http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... sh-5310465
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Cant stand the bloke myself, and waaaayyy overhyped for my liking.

Yes, yes, i know this will fan the flames in some people, but i believe the media hype Thomas up more than they should. Whats he done? Brailsford always bangs on about him being this 'superb rider' but he did f*ck all in the classics, fell over more times than a 5yr old on an Argos bike with no stabilisers. Hes basically done and won sweet FA.

Yes he was determined, riding with (and lets not hype it here) a hairline fracture in his hip ( and not a crack like it was an 80yr old after a hip operation) but lets not talk it up like hes some kind of hero. A 20yr old fighting on the beaches of Normandy in WW2 was 'brave' whilst being shot at, so lets keep it in perspective here people and not make him out to be some kind of cycling god.

Fact is Thomas is a good bike rider and nothing more, he also happens to be completely void of personality and a bit of a tjt in interviews.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    he also happens to be completely void of personality and a bit of a tjt in interviews.

Disagree! He comes across as a genuine down to earth bloke with a good sense of humour, always up for a bit of a laugh unlike the usual Sky seriousness.

I'm not exactly sure why he continued to ride this years TDF, he was no real use to the team and risked doing some serious damage.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    tyler-hamilton_xxlarge.jpg

Just finished his book and whether on drugs or not, he still seems like a nice doper and had some pretty good pain management strategies too.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    jerry3571 wrote:
    tyler-hamilton_xxlarge.jpg

Just finished his book and whether on drugs or not, he still seems like a nice doper and had some pretty good pain management strategies too.
    They weren't too great for his teeth though!
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    I'm not exactly sure why he continued to ride this years TDF, he was no real use to the team and risked doing some serious damage.

I'd say he was quite useful by the third week, saw him on the front quite a bit by then and was needed to after Sky lost Kiri and Eddy
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    PeteMadoc wrote:

I'd say he was quite useful by the third week, saw him on the front quite a bit by then and was needed to after Sky lost Kiri and Eddy

Absolutely. He was putting in stints on the front into week 2, and some seriously big stints by week 3. For example the stage into gap: he was on the front from around 120km to go to the 40-50km mark. Sorry but to say he was of little real use to the team indicates the poster wasn't watching the race. He might not have been able to help much in the mountains but he did a hell of a lot on the flat stuff controlling the breaks.
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    I didn't see much of the later flat stages to be honest, just the final 10K. Was it worth risking a long term injury though?
  • PeteMadoc wrote:
    I didn't see much of the later flat stages to be honest, just the final 10K. Was it worth risking a long term injury though?

For the team, definitely.

For Him, well he'd probably say yes as well to be a part of it after sitting out for the Olympics last year. (I actually seem to recall he did say this.)