Is the Cube Ltd 2013 any good?

bwlmog
bwlmog Posts: 15
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a new Mountain Bike through a cycle to work scheme and at the moment the Cube Ltd 2013 is the front runner (I'd love a Canyon - but these can't be bought under c2w).

I know very little about mtb's and wanted to know if this bike is any good, or is there something better for around the £850 mark. It has to be a 26er bike (due to the better choice and price of tyres) and needs to be around the 20" frame as i'm 6ft 2"

Thanks in advance,

Bwlmog

Comments

• plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    I have a 2013 LTD SL 29er. I really love it! I don´t see any problem with tyre choice unless you have something very specific out there that you must have.
    It swallows up trails, XC and rougher downhill sections with the bigger wheels, it´s made me fitter on the climbs as it has a very long 1st gear, I´m not sure if this is due to the bigger wheel, the cassette used or a combo of both. I had to change the flat bar though, it´s wide..and flat, which felt great, the control was great, but the inside of my thumbs got really sore after 10 miles so I got a low riser, slightly narrower and with a bit more sweep, it´s perfect.

I´m 5´9 and ended up with a 19 inch. I even have a fairy short inside leg. Glad I took the time to try the bikes and get the opinion from a fellow rider.
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • bwlmog
    Hi Plasma_man,

Thanks for the reply, the main reason for a 26er is the price of tyres and selection. As im buying through a c2w scheme I'll be using tarmac paths and roads during week (so want semi slick) and off road st weekend (on normal mtb tyres). There doesn't seem to be many semi slicks for 29ers.

Just checked out the Ltd SL, lovely but outside my price range.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Got the LTD 29 as well. Spec is very good for the price.
  • bwlmog
    Thanks for the replies, I'm having a nightmare finding this bike in stock and those that have it aren't part of the cyclescheme programme. Could anyone recommend a similar spec alternative at around the same price.
  • plasma_man
    Mine wasn´t in stock either so they ordered it and it arrived 4 days later, it took the guy all of 10 seconds to check his PC and say it can be delivered within a week, granted, the Cube factory isn´t too far away from me but it may be an option for you?

I tested the various models, some cheaper, some more expensive, just to size up the frame and make sure it was the right bike for me.

If I couldn´t get it, I would have went with a Scott 960 29er, it´s even cheaper and won best hard tail award recently (Cube Ltd 29er was rated as junk!)
  • bwlmog
    Thanks Plasma_man,

Apparently, there are no Cube Ltd available. I've spoken at length to two local Cube retailers both of which said that they can't get them and that includes direct from the manufacturer - may have ceased manufacture in readiness for the new 2014 range which normally comes out in sept/oct?

Looked at the Scott and read the reviews but its out of my price league at £999 compared to the Cube Ltd which is currently £849. I've tried the Ltd 26er as a friend has one and its the right size for me and have also now been given a nmber of slick, semi-slick and winter tyres 26" so definately want 26" wheels.
  • plasma_man
    As someone who loves a 29er, buy any size wheel , it's not a big deal! For me, fitness is 80%, skills 10%, tyre size, pressure determination the rest. Hope you find a fun bike and enjoy it!
  • Plasma_man wrote:
    As someone who loves a 29er, buy any size wheel , it's not a big deal! For me, fitness is 80%, skills 10%, tyre size, pressure determination the rest. Hope you find a fun bike and enjoy it!

This. I own a Ltd SL and ride with someone who owns a 29er. I'm no slower or more tired at the end of a ride. I used his bike to ride to work a couple of times last week and I reckon that I probably saved myself 5 minutes over the 13 miles. And that was probably more to do with 'the new bike effect' and conditions more than the size of the wheel.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)