Told I need to get new bike.

2»

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    You're all jumping to conclusions on this. Plenty of clubs require you to have a decent road bike and be dressed in "appropriate clothing" before joining a club ride. One particular club in London whose rides I used to join increasingly found itself with a large contingent of MTB/hybrid/BSO riders with rucksacks etc wearing jeans turning up to club rides. I wouldn't particularly judge people for what they wear and what they choose to ride but turning up to a ride with a club which is predominantly aimed at people who race or who are aiming to race on a hybrid is just going to slow everything down for everyone else which isn't fair. The club prides itself as a racing club and now indicates this on its website to let everyone know that it doesn't cater for leisure cyclists. There are plenty of leisure/touring cycle groups out there whose riders, complete with rucksacks and packed lunches take all day to do a 50 miler, stopping at pubs and cafes on the way and all strength to them, just make sure you pick the right type of club for you...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    NewTTer wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    steel42 wrote:
    Went back today for another run, it was a small group of 10 so we all went of as one group. The guy was in a good mood and told everyone there were a couple of long hard climbs on course. Felt great and as before everyone else was perfect. I had a quite smug feeling when the guy told us if anyone got dropped on the climbs they would be waiting for them to regroup at the end of the decent. Everyone agreed and I was grinning like the grinch. I enjoyed the look when he got dropped I must admit. When we regrouped he was in a great mood with me, asking me to stay up front and help tow the group. The run ended with him asking me if I'm interested in racing for them. All feels peachy and I don't feel bad about him getting dropped

Just name the club.

"Ficticious Wheelers", from Dreamland Town

Meet outside the C0ck & Bull don't they?
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    So, Steely, what's your new bike gonna be then? :D
  • steel42
    steel42 Posts: 49
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I'm not changing my bike till Christmas, he'll just have to enjoy the view of my rear wheel :lol:
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    steel42 wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I'm not changing my bike till Christmas, he'll just have to enjoy the view of my rear wheel :lol:

You need to spend at least £5,000 ;)
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    NewTTer wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    steel42 wrote:
    Went back today for another run, it was a small group of 10 so we all went of as one group. The guy was in a good mood and told everyone there were a couple of long hard climbs on course. Felt great and as before everyone else was perfect. I had a quite smug feeling when the guy told us if anyone got dropped on the climbs they would be waiting for them to regroup at the end of the decent. Everyone agreed and I was grinning like the grinch. I enjoyed the look when he got dropped I must admit. When we regrouped he was in a great mood with me, asking me to stay up front and help tow the group. The run ended with him asking me if I'm interested in racing for them. All feels peachy and I don't feel bad about him getting dropped

Just name the club.

"Ficticious Wheelers", from Dreamland Town

hehe
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • markhewitt1978
    Sounds like the club I went out with. I was riding a £100 Halfords hybrid and they were riding minium £4k road bikes. They were like, go home, you have no place here. But I rode with them anyway and ended up doing *twice* their average speed and was heading back to the start before they'd even left. They were like OMFG you are AMAZING.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Sounds like the club I went out with. I was riding a £100 Halfords hybrid and they were riding minium £4k road bikes. They were like, go home, you have no place here. But I rode with them anyway and ended up doing *twice* their average speed and was heading back to the start before they'd even left. They were like OMFG you are AMAZING.

Do you still live in that shoebox in middle of t' road? :lol:
  • markhewitt1978
    Ballysmate wrote:
    shoebox in middle of t' road? :lol:

Luxury!
  • hagr182
    hagr182 Posts: 2
    Dont worry about it, the club I go to has a philosofy that it is the motor (You) and not the bike that matters. I am a total "noob" up until 3 long rides ago I did not even know what the small cogs on my road bike where for!

And before joining I was gonna buy a Cervelo S3 but decided for a $700 dollars alubike (local mexican brand) with good parts and no one has told me anything about the fact that most of them ride professional level bikes, in fact they have been helpful with tips and advice.

In fact last ride I left behind two friends who have a WAY MORE expensive bikes than I do (I think over the 4000 dollar range). Clubs should be helpful and not discriminatory based on your bike, because in the end its the rider that matters.

Why get a 3000+ usd bike (at least on my case mind you) if you can not get the most out of it for lack of practice (again my case LOL)?
  • steel42
    steel42 Posts: 49
    Went out for my third ride with them, the guy split the groups up. He put himself in the slower group along with a new start that turned up on a mountain bike. He told the new guy he need to get a new bike and everyone pounced on him telling him to shut up and worry about himself. Seems he's done this before, but he apparently means no harm.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    steel42 wrote:
    Went out for my third ride with them, the guy split the groups up. He put himself in the slower group along with a new start that turned up on a mountain bike. He told the new guy he need to get a new bike and everyone pounced on him telling him to shut up and worry about himself. Seems he's done this before, but he apparently means no harm.
    Punch him in the face and tell him you mean no harm.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    So steel42 how was your first race, any podium placing?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Sounds like a rogue individual.

I was worried about taking my track/fixed bike to my first club rides but it was never an issue.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    IME the older the bike the better the rider.

Be espacially weary of retired individuals on fixies!!!!
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I only ever went on one club ride here in Holland. Went out with a local club named after the bike shop in town. Chairman of , and owner of bike shop was also present. He was non too impressed with my Chinarello even though it,s equiped with Campag record and Mavic SL wheels. He was even less impressed when afterwards he said "Iv,e never seen you in my bike shop before" and i said "i,ve looked in the window but find your prices a bit steep". Things went quicky down hill after that a bit like Froomy in the TT today. Given the fact that it,s a mainly touring club and they only average about 32 Km/h i said i,m looking at another club there,s really no point in continuing with you guys my fitness will not improve. In short in any club you will always get ONE who,s a tosser, but don,t be put off. Stick in there and hopefully you drop him on a club run and he will def not want to speak to you in a hurry, believe me.
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    ... and if you're a member of club and you can't identify the tosser, then it's probably you.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • ianspeare
    ianspeare Posts: 110
    I wouldn't take it too personally either. Several people on my first club run said my bike was a good first one. A few said it was heavy, but then said that if I keep riding on that up the hills, I'll easily drop them when I get my new carbon machine