Squeal go away!

aidso
aidso Posts: 493
edited July 2013 in MTB general
I have a newish pair of Ashima Semi-Metallic brakes pads (Deore) fitted and they will not stop squealing. Was out on the trail last night and it was embarrassing!
I've had them completely off; use Muc-Off Disc Brake Cleaner all over them and the rotors; scrubbed off with warm water; then got a small sand-paper block and sanded both rotor and pads.....and they are still squealing. Is there anything else than can be done?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    make sure the split pin is fitted properly, and all the bolts are torqued corectly.
  • aidso
    Yeah everything looks tight to me. No movement in those things
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ride. Brake, repeat.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Don't know if this works with bikes,but on car brakes to stop squeal use a bit of copper grease on metal edge and back of the pads
  • cooldad
    I would suggest not getting any grease anywhere near the pads. Car and bike systems are different.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Gibbo3771
    Gibbo3771 Posts: 145
    Take the pads out and hover them over a gas hob, let them soke, dip in water.

Then rebed them in.

I would also consider just cleaning your rotors with extremely hot water, NO SOAP.A damn good clean, a good 5 minute scrub each with boiling water.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    Trailside repair for squealing brakes is get some muddy/gritty dirty water and rub over the pads.

It does work usually.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Metalic or semi-metalic pads do tend to squeal. Cleaning rotor and pad may help for a while but the squeal may well return. You could try and place some copper grease on the back of the pad but you could end up getting grease on the braking surface.

The only other alternative, is to try different pads.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Pads may be contaminated, and despite there being literally 3.74 million ways to clean them documented on t'internet, I've found that none of them really work.

Clean the disc with Isopropyl alcohol, and get new pads. Nothing else, just IPO. I've seen brake cleaners annihilate brake pads - even ones supposedly intended specifically for MTB disc brakes.
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    have you tried re-centering the caliper?
  • aidso
    So I've tried everything and I think finally I am seeing some results - hopefully not speaking too soon :).
    Scrubbed the rotors to death and then some of the pads. Stuck the pads in the oven for 45 minutes then put everything back together with some copper grease on the back of the pads and so far we've no squeak and a little bit of braking. Hopefully in the morning I can get it a bit further along the trail and get her locking up :).
  • cooldad
    Apart from all the random weird things you've done like cooking pads, grease and brakes is a rather stupid combination.
    Good luck.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    Remove pads, spray with meths, ignite. Once cooled down re-fit pads
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which will do nothing for any contaminant soaked into the porous pad.....

Squealing is rarely caused by contamination anyway, it's something hitting it's resonant frequancy, Avid are 'worse' (more likely to do it) as the silly CPS washers make the mounting less stiff, lightweight discs are 'worse' as they are less stiff and sintered pads are 'worse' as they are stiffer than organic/kevlar and thus don't damp the disc as much. Had all three on the back of mine, always squealed, even after new pads and cleaned discs, then I fitted a Shimano rear brake with an IS caliper (much stiffer mounting) and no more squeal.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

• Clean the disc with Isopropyl alcohol, and get new pads. Nothing else, just IPO. I've seen brake cleaners annihilate brake pads - even ones supposedly intended specifically for MTB disc brakes.

This!! very much this!! the muck off disc cleaner wot stop the squealing, if anything make it worse! IPA is the only way to go IMO, remove any traces of the copper grease you've put on, lightly rub the disc with some sand paper, ipa wipe down, lightly rub the surface of the disc pad too, remove any Shinyness, ipa wipe them, put it back together, rebed in and ride, Dont spray anything near the discs, or close to the discs! A short dab of the top of the spray nozzle can see the spray floating Meters away from the start point, Resist sprays on bike!!

Ipa for all braking surfaces, its cheap too, my last lot was £6/L from the local fiberglass suppliers,

Sintered pads do tend to squeal more than others too, ive changed back to std pads after years of sintereds, they are great for long downward rides, but short gentle use tends to shiny them up and thus squeal/howl like mad and mush less braking!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • Larok
    Larok Posts: 577
    spray the pads with brake disc cleaner and leave it on.