Collision at Elephant & Castle this morning

liz545
liz545 Posts: 8
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
My other half was knocked off in a hit & run this morning at Elephant & Castle. Northbound roundabout near London College of Communications, a white (commercial) van that failed to stop. It's been reported to the police, and we're going to see if we can get access to any CCTV, but if any riders saw what happened we'd be really grateful of any details.

He was on a black Pinnacle road bike, black & red jersey, at 10.20am, and thinks some other riders may have stopped to help but his memory's patchy. I'm concerned that the vehicle was being driven by a 'professional driver' who left a man lying in the middle of the Elephant & Castle roundabout without stopping to check he was alive. I've also posted this in the SCR thread, so if this is in the wrong place, very sorry. Quite shaken up and angry today.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hope he recovers quickly....

Just to clarify, can he be sure the van driver knew he knocked him off?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • liz545
    liz545 Posts: 8
    He's fairly sure the driver knew he'd hit him, and the driver behind has provided a witness statement. I'm doubtful that the police will charge the driver, but hopefully we'll be able to get CCTV footage so we can take this further with his insurers and possibly his employer. If this does ring any bells with any riders who were in the area, though, more information is always helpful!
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,872
    There is certainly a lot of CCTV round there so I'd expect them to be able to spot the van.