Sub 2 KG wheelset under £300 - recommendations please?

HeatherMillsLeg
HeatherMillsLeg Posts: 90
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
As title really.

In all honesty most wheelsets are under 2 KG. Just wondering what you guys, as users would recommend and suppliers please. Ribble seem to be well priced.

There are variations from Mavic, Shimano and Fulcrum at these weights and prices.

Currently using Mavic Aksiums 2011/12 and find them pretty decent. Then again they replaced stock Mavic Xp30 which were heavy, to say the least!

Any advice?

Cheers

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Worth doing a search in the Road Buying Advice section as wheels come up probably once a day.

FWIW, I don't think you will get a huge difference for the money so, unless the Aksiums need to be replaced, you might be better off just saving up an extra few quid. I have some RS80s for the summer (carried over from one of my old bikes) and some Aksiums for winter use (came with one of my current bikes) and the RS80s are 'nicer/smoother/spin up well, etc' but Strava shows that those words don't translate into 'faster'. The RS80s do make me smile more, but would cost about £325 (even if you shop around).

I would think about what you want to achieve from the spend and let that shape how you go forward, including looking at handbuilt options.
  • Bobbinogs wrote:
    Worth doing a search in the Road Buying Advice section as wheels come up probably once a day.

FWIW, I don't think you will get a huge difference for the money so, unless the Aksiums need to be replaced, you might be better off just saving up an extra few quid. I have some RS80s for the summer (carried over from one of my old bikes) and some Aksiums for winter use (came with one of my current bikes) and the RS80s are 'nicer/smoother/spin up well, etc' but Strava shows that those words don't translate into 'faster'. The RS80s do make me smile more, but would cost about £325 (even if you shop around).

I would think about what you want to achieve from the spend and let that shape how you go forward, including looking at handbuilt options.

OK cheers - admit I only really come to this thread. May just keep em and do a 3 bike cassette / tyre swap and sell my bike with the original Mavics.

Looking at the other thread Ultegras have been recommended. They might of changed by now but I know someone who had them and it was only when they started playing up that he found out that they weren't serviceable!

Well - they were - but basically at the same cost of having a new wheel handbuilt!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    For most factory wheelsets it seems the hub bearings can be serviced (Shimano) or replaced (Mavic, Fulcrum) but that spokes are either hard to find and / or expensive and the rims even more so, to the extent that buying a replacement wheel is often cheaper than repair.

If you want something that's easily serviced you're better going handbuilt.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    My vote would be these: http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/shop/velo ... -wheelset/ with the Novatec hubs.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    I think these are a bargain. and they are serviceable and rebuildable - Planet X Model B V2.0 for £149.99 Delivered.
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPP ... 0_wheelset

The new V2.0's have an improved freehub i was told by px.

1650g a pair (without skewers)
    20h front
    24h rear

Kinlin XR-270 rims - 27mm deep
    Novatech hubs
    Bladed spokes
    Alloy nipples
    8,9 and 10 speed compatible

Sealed cartridge bearings
    Use regular j-bend spokes
    Rim tape & skewers included
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^+1
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    These....

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... o-rim.html

About 1850g per pair, 32 spokes so nice and strong, cheap to fix if they do break.
  • ct8282
    ct8282 Posts: 414
    I hear these are bloody good wheels.....

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zond ... -wheelset/

1550g for the pair, and under your £300 budget. I'm no expert though but I have been considering a set myself.