How many inches are you running?

welkman
welkman Posts: 396
edited July 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi all,

New to fixed gear and loving it. I have used the calculator thingy and I want to make my 80rpm speed about 21.5mph that would mean running 84 inches 48, 15. At the moment 20 mph means 100rpm as stock we are 42, 16 and 69 inches.

How many inches have you guys got and how do you find it? My commute is flat but sometimes has a heavy headwind.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Currently 48/18 but I'm massively out of shape. Commute is London flat.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    welkman wrote:
    Hi all,

New to fixed gear and loving it. I have used the calculator thingy and I want to make my 80rpm speed about 21.5mph that would mean running 84 inches 48, 15. At the moment 20 mph means 100rpm as stock we are 42, 16 and 69 inches.

How many inches have you guys got and how do you find it? My commute is flat but sometimes has a heavy headwind.
    :shock:

I've got 86" on the track bike, and it takes 15 mins warmup before I feel comfortable on it; even then it feels pretty cumbersome under ~20mph.

I've never commuted fixed, but isn't half the idea to develop a bit of souplesse?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I've got a Fuji Track which I run at 76in which is stiff enough to be quick enough, but not so stiff you can't get up hills.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    48/15, good thing London is flat.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • 69 inches. But I have hills. I have reached 35mph downhill and that was scary.
  • 13/42 with 28mm tires, 86.5" for london commuting, I feel as though I could do with a bit higher but I fear for the health of my knees or ability to move off from junctions...
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    I run 71". I look to be cruising about 95-100rpm. It's only too low if I get a long run in a tailwind...
    Pushing a big gear up a hill or away from lights hurts my knees and looks silly... Anyone can stand up and grind but keeping it smooth doing 40 at 150revs separates the wannabes from the hardcore...

Cheers,
    W.
    PS I live in Scotland. It's not flat.
  • Dezcore
    Dezcore Posts: 34
    46/15 = 82.8. Commuting in North Lanarkshire area so no mahoosive hills but I generally stroll at 70ish RPM which gives a decent speed. Have so far hit a max of 27mph on flat according to the speed flash outside Ravenscraig Sports Centre, obviously that didn't last long lol.

This site gives good knowledge on the subject - http://www.fixedwheel.co.uk/tech.htm
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    48/17 which equates to 74.3"
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    48/17 (74.3") here as well.

I hit 30mph on the flat yesterday, trying to catch my brother on his geared bike. My legs were like a whirling dervish!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    46x16, used to run 51x17/48x16 and wasn't a fan. Perfect for cruising along in the low 20s, smashing headwinds and getting around most of the surrey hills...
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Another London 48/17 here too. Just found it the right balance of running at a decent speed and not ruining knees getting up to speed.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,594
    42x16, which, judging by my strava times, mean I spin like a !#@*£
  • redvee
    Ben6899 wrote:
    48/17 (74.3") here as well.

I hit 30mph on the flat yesterday, trying to catch my brother on his geared bike. My legs were like a whirling dervish!

You should try 37mph downhill if you want spinny, I was pedaling but I wasn't gaining any speed.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,073
    edited July 2013
    Tending to spend most of my time in 52/19 or 52/17 - 71.9 or 80.4 GI, due to running without a front mech for the last few months. Ideally, I'd want an 18.5T sprocket I think.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    12 on a good day with a lingering glance. *comedy drumroll*
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    48/16 so that's about 81in I think - North Manchester isn't flat per se but no nasty gradients, a bit of a nightmare in a headwind on the way home (all uphill) but I'd be bouncing about on the ride in where it's all down
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I've got 46-18 and actually for the most part today on the way in it felt OK.

Yes I was spinning at 120 rpm to keep up with a guy doing 24 or so also on a SS but for the most part it was perfect, pulling away, drags etc. I could climb dark hill and sawyers without trouble.

I initially was thinking of putting a much bigger gear on it, but now I'm torn, I think I might put a 17 on there, or possibly a 16 but I reckon I'll keep the 46.

It feels like I could go and ride the Surrey Hills on this one if I wanted.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    48/17 which seems pretty much ideal for London.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    okgo wrote:
    I've got 46-18 and actually for the most part today on the way in it felt OK.

Yes I was spinning at 120 rpm to keep up with a guy doing 24 or so also on a SS but for the most part it was perfect, pulling away, drags etc. I could climb dark hill and sawyers without trouble.

I initially was thinking of putting a much bigger gear on it, but now I'm torn, I think I might put a 17 on there, or possibly a 16 but I reckon I'll keep the 46.

It feels like I could go and ride the Surrey Hills on this one if I wanted.

I ride the surrey hills on 46-16 only a few hills are trackstanding/gurning/walking crocknorth/whitedown etc.

I loop out over Leith Hill to Box etc, fine and I rather suspect your younger/fitter/faster than I!
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    I had heavy legs today. So maybe on a normal day ill wish I had a bigger gear!

Will probably swap it out for a 16.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Apparently 78.8 (48*16) in summer. Can hit 187 rpm on the turbo though ;)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • redvee
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Apparently 78.8 (48*16) in summer. Can hit 187 rpm on the turbo though ;)

I've hit 226 rpm according to my Garmin :roll: which means I was doing a theoretical 49.9mph :shock:
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    48/18 so 70.1 but want to swap to a 16 so that will be 78.8.

I find anything over 22mph just too spinney, but then I prefer bigger gears.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Commuted on the fixed for the first time in a month or so this morning.
    I might swap out the 48x15 for a 47x16 as I've got the chainring and cogs spare atm... did feel like a bit of a slog away from the lights and I was hardly spinning out at any point.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo