Rate the Race: TDF 2013

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited July 2013 in Pro race
So whaddya think of the show so far?

The poll runs for 30 days and you can revote at any point, so if the mountains are pants/epic you can come back.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Not ashamed to admit I think its been decent so far - 8/10?

We've had relatively exciting sprint stages - OGE Bus, Bakelants win, Gerrans beating Sagan, Kittel beating Cav, controversial crashes etc.

Ax-3 Domaines was good too - Quintana's attack followed by Froome monstering everyone. People want attacking racing from the main contenders? Froome did just that.

The stage 9 was a bit of a classic, you don't get that kind of racing in the Tour very often - Garmin, Movistar and Saxo mixing it up. It was exciting watching Quintana attacking Froome and getting pegged back. Great win from Martin and an exciting sprint with Fuglsang.

I think some people are reluctant to admit that its been a good race because Froome is looking like the runaway winner at the moment. But if you look at it stage by stage I think there have been more hits than misses.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Corsica was just amazing, racing up until Sunday was excellent too. Been a bit boring since though, to be expected I suppose. I think my rating will go up even higher next week.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    edited July 2013
    Much better than expected so far given predictions of a GC procession after the Dauphine TT. Stage 9 was a gripper and Froome's GC lead could be vulnerable due his his depleted and off-form team. There's climbing every day from Saturday. These flat days are inevitable for rider recovery.

Edit. Just given a Stage 13 boost
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,549
    I've gone all out with a 9. So far. That's over-generous, but it picks up a couple of points just for not being the 4 or 5 I was pessimistically expecting. Objectively, 7 or 8. Loved Corsica.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    I'm going with an 8. 8.5 if I could. There has been some real hi-lights so far.
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    A solid 8 after today's stage.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    Ive changed my 8 from 2nd week to a 7, but tomorrow could push it back to an 8
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,171
    Solid 7 for me, thought about an 8 but the overall has been won by so much (barring misfortune) pegs it down a bit.
  • Going for a 7. Some great stages, great to see Quintana + Contador trying everything they can, great to see unexpected performances like Cav St 9 and Rodriguez's TT. Would've been higher if GC was closer.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Any other year it would be a 4 with the lead Froome has but Quintana, Movistar and Contador (as well as Kittel and Cavendish) have made it a solid 7.5.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,557
    Much better than last year, but only average as most of the jerseys were over very early on.
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    donrhummy wrote:
    Any other year it would be a 4 with the lead Froome has but Quintana, Movistar and Contador (as well as Kittel and Cavendish) have made it a solid 7.5.

You've got to give Froome credit for his attacks in the mountains too...

if any other rider had ridden like that everyone would be wetting themselves with excitement - but it seems that because he rides for Sky and had a big time buffer he was automatically a boring rider?
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    the race was good the internet banter 5hit
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,242
    donrhummy wrote:

You've got to give Froome credit for his attacks in the mountains too...

if any other rider had ridden like that everyone would be wetting themselves with excitement - but it seems that because he rides for Sky and had a big time buffer he was automatically a boring rider?
    It's not the rider that is boring, it's the domination.

Even so, I've given it an eight. Lots to enjoy. Bakelants obviously. Loved the way Canondale took it to the sprinters' teams on stage 7. Quintana's suicide attack on stage 8. Stage 9 was a great watch albeit with disappointingly little impact on GC. Stage 13 was absolutely fantastic. Oh and of course there was Riblon's win. The battle between Cav, Greipel and Kittel made the flatter stages more exciting. The race for the lesser podium spots was decent even if yellow was pretty much decided after stage 8. Unquestionably a lot better than the disappointing Giro.