Sram X7

pedalmeister
pedalmeister Posts: 2
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey.

I took a big fall last week and tore the outer plastic casing of my rear shifter cabel so the metal cable inside was exposed.
It caused the shifter to go back and forth between gears so I went to the bike shop to change the cable.
The cable was changed and the gears are shifting smoothly but now the red thingy that shows the gear that I'm currently using is not working. It most definitely WAS working when I gave the bike away to change the shifter cable.
The bike shop owner insists that changing a cable can not damage this part.
I'm using 2006 Sram X7.

So, does changing the shifter cabel can cause the red marker to stop working or not?

Hope I made my question clear.
Thank you.

sram_x7_trigger1_big.jpg

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and he is correct.

it is most lieky to have come lose when you had your off.

either fix it yourself or ask a shop if they can or ignore it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If they replaced the cable through the access port, then they are correct, if for some reason they split the housing (I had to once as the nipple was jammed solid in the rotating segment) then it is not correct.

Split housing, hook piece of red ribbon back onto peg, screw housing back together.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    They're pretty useless anyway, never used them.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Concorde wrote:

Can't resist - how do you know they're useless if you've never used them?!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Concorde wrote:

Can't resist - how do you know they're useless if you've never used them?!
    According to his other thread he never gets out of granny/big cog or something.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools