Riding in Tenerife, any advise ?

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I'm off on hols soon for 2 weeks with the family and I'm contemplating hiring a road bike for a day or two while I'm over in Tenerife - Los Cristianos.
I've never been to Tenerife or road abroad so If anyone has any good , general advise like, best hire store for a 1/2 decent road bike , shall I take my own shoes / saddle and best routes . Bear in mind I'm touching 5,0 so no major climbs please lol.

I did post in the routes section but no replies.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,130
    take shoes - let the hire place know in advance which type of pedals you need, of tell them you'll bring your own pedals for them to fit

also take a couple of water bottles

when i've hired in the past i also took my own minitool, lever, pump, repair kit and a tube, as even if they supply some with the bike they can be so so
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Sun cream - advice on here is generally to use P20 as it doesn't mix and run with the sweat and sting your eyes.

Hydration - stay hydrated and take as much water as you can, it will be very hot.

I took my saddle bag with the usual gear (multi-tool, tubes, etc), pedals and shoes plus clothes.

Take a phone and know the local taxi number, just in case.

Be prered for some climbing and some wind - comes with being a volcano in the middle of the Atlantic.

Avoid the main coast roads - busy and full of UK tourists who are not used to driving on the right.

Early starts to avoid the mid-day sun.

Plan your routes before you go.

http://tenerife-training.net/Tenerife-N ... ristianos/

http://www.cyclingtenerife.com/
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Its hilly, no matter where you go.
    As above, plenty of sun screen, water stops (no use taking 2 full bottles as you wont get to drink more than half due to it almost boiling and becoming undrinkable).
    Living MY dream.
  • bing gordon
    Navrig wrote:
    Take a phone and know the local taxi number, just in case.

I like that piece of advise as I'll probably need it :)
  • bing gordon
    Anyone used this hire shop ;-

http://www.bike-xpress.com/home/
  • bing gordon
    yeah thanks Frwank :roll:
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    As above take your own biking kit, shoes/helmet/gloves etc...saddle bag with multitool and bottles. Avoid main bus routes as those bus drivers can be worse than over here. Map out your route and don't forget to tell someone where your off to.

Early morning is better, i rode a few miles in lanzarote last nov, the hill climbs really painful for so much fun coming back down. The thing over there you can get really well specc'ed bikes for not many euro's think i paid 50 euro for a week and had a trek madone, best money i spent while out there.
  • Where did you get the Trek for50 euros? I paid 100 euros a week for a Tarmac last Xmas in Lanzarote.