How do you keep your helmet clean?

nternal1
nternal1 Posts: 58
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
If you ride your bike for fitness you are obviously going to work up a sweat. I've never worn a helmet before but I can see it's not going to be long before it gets pretty funky. Do people wash their helmet in the sink or do they just let them ferment?

Comments

• datasone
    datasone Posts: 35
    Muc off helmet cleaner. Just spray on, rub in and wipe off excess.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I was going to say I wash mine in the shower, making sure I pull back the foreskin and rinse thoroughly - then I realised which helmet you were referring to :oops:

Good quality cycling safety helmets will come with removable pads which Velcro in. They usually have a spare set so one to wear, one to wash. They will also flatten over time and you can buy replacement pad sets.

3899_i_1.jpg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    run it under the tap, rinse the sweat out of the pads, then hang it on the line.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I have a very similar approach to Gizmodo, although I use Detol and a wire brush.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • feemackenzie
    feemackenzie Posts: 130
    Throw in the sink with a sprinkle of washing powder; rinse well.
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • I take mine in the shower with me after a ride. A bit of shampoo or shower gel rubbed into the padding stops it from smelling bad.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    MattC59 wrote:
    I have a very similar approach to Gizmodo, although I use Detol and a wire brush.

:shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    arran77 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

and I'm not talking about my cycling helmet.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180
    used my last helmet almost every day for four years and never cleaned it. The rain does it for me.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    MattC59 wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:

and I'm not talking about my cycling helmet.

Yes I realised that, hence the :shock:

Whatever floats your boat I guess :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • inkz
    inkz Posts: 123
    I take the pads out and rinse them in the sink then leave them to dry overnight.

I seem to be doing it about 3 times a week at the moment :S
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I take mine in the shower with me after a ride. A bit of shampoo or shower gel rubbed into the padding stops it from smelling bad.

I tried that but I can't stand under the shower 'cos I'm too tall.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I get the wife to give it a polish as often as possible.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    I just rinse under running water, squeezing the pads to remove the excess and then leave to dry. I used to remove the pads every time and rinse them out, but found that the constant removal/ refitting of the pads was causing them to deteriorate quickly (the Velcro action was pulling the pad material apart) so stopped doing this. By the way, mine is a Specialized helmet.

PP
  • I get the wife to give it a polish as often as possible.

You should really be cleaning it more often than Christmas and your birthday.