Alnmouth, Northumberland - any tips?

Circlip
Circlip Posts: 16
edited July 2013 in Tour & expedition
Off with the family for a holiday in Alnmouth.

Never been to the area before but taking family bikes for days out. Need to consider daughter (8) - she did 24m in a day age 6 on a hostel w'end but she's happier 10-15m with a stop for ice cream etc if anyone can recommend something extra special. Nice to start local but happy to drive to start.

Am also looking for some road routes for either-
Me & the boy to do together, about 20-25m preferable from Alnmouth.

Longer than the above that I can do on my own. 2-3 hrs. Happy to drive to start.

All advice appreciated for good roads /climbs /cafes etc that local riders can share.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    We are quite often in Alnmouth, mother in law has a static caravan just a few miles up the coast..

Beautiful village you've picked to stay in, some nice pubs and tearooms.

Howick Hall up the coast from Alnmouth would be a nice ride with the kids, great cafe, and great cakes :) You can ride up the beach as far as Seaton Point, after about 2 miles look for some steps leading down to the beach. Then up the steps, to the road and turn right to Boulmer and keep going past RAF Boulmer to Longhoughton and on to Howick Hall. You can get there and back along the coastal path from Boulmer if you are up for a bit of off roading.

I usually either ride up the coast to Bamburgh or head inland towards Rothbury for a longer ride. Not found a cycling cafe, but there are plenty of cafes in Bamburgh/Seahouses.

Enjoy :)