Reasons to replace worn cleats : part 1

chaos75
chaos75 Posts: 72
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Is this the opposite of a clipless moment?
Recently I'd noticed that unclipping had become a bit too easy and I had excessive float on my left foot. I checked my cleat and saw that a little bit of the lip at the front had broken off. Thought I'd order some new ones online as they would be cheaper and the old ones would see me through another couple of short commutes. Travelling to work yesterday I was approaching a set of lights that were green and, as I pass them every day and have an idea of the length of their cycle, thought if I gave it some I would make it before they changed. I will never know if that was true as when I stood and accelerated I felt my left food slip forward off of the pedal and the next thing I know I'm staring up at the sky. Dragged myself and the bike to the side of the road cursing myself and, more importantly, the damage I could already see, mostly the shifters being totalled and the bars and wheel facing opposite directions. The lady behind asked if I was ok and I told her I just needed to catch my breath. I could see some nice road rash on my arm and the state of my shirt suggested I had the same on my back. A couple of interesting things then happened. Several drivers, including white van man, stopped to offer support and lifts which was good but then two separate cyclists, a lady and an old boy, both on road bikes rode past. They both had to stop at the lights but neither even looked my way despite me clearly having come off. The other person that really surprised me was a nurse in a soft top. roof down, singing along to "We are family" also stopped at the lights not even glancing over. I don't know why but it annoyed me a bit and I like to think if the (broken cleated) shoe had been on the other foot I'd at least have checked a fellow human being was OK.
The end result, when the growing pain told me I might not be just winded, was an ambulance ride to A&E some painful arm twisting x-rays, a broken scapula (they said "query" but I'm not having that, it must be broken to add credence to my whining) and a nurse who, whilst very kind on the surface, seemed to enjoy scrubbing my road rash with a brillo pad (she said it was a sponge but I'm not convinced) just a bit too much.
So, to those that stopped, thanks a lot, it was appreciated. To those that didn't, nevermind.

Comments

• Due to their continued exposure to suffering and pain, I find most nurses to be almost completely desensitised to the human condition, and therefore complete c**ts. Expecting sympathy from them is like expecting to ride clipless without incident - it ain't gonna happen. :)
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    What do you plan on writing about in part 2?
  • springer64
    springer64 Posts: 25
    Due to their continued exposure to suffering and pain, I find most nurses to be almost completely desensitised to the human condition, and therefore complete c**ts. Expecting sympathy from them is like expecting to ride clipless without incident - it ain't gonna happen. :)

Aren't you a classy sort.... Let's hope you have no need of the services of those overworked, underpaid c**ts anytime soon, eh?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Different cause but found myself in a similar position this week. One minute riding along on a lovely sunny day, the next lying on the Tarmac wondering what the heck happened and in excruciating pain. Everyone who could have stopped did, one guy took charge and within a few minutes a nee nah arrived and I was in the system. Ambulance staff were brilliant and a full A & E team waiting for me at the local and quickly diagnosed a broken clavicle, two ribs and a punctured lung. Discharged yesterday to home and my social circle involves shuffling from toilet to kitchen to telly and to bed with lots of painkillers.

I am so grateful to everyone who helped and was not aware of anyone who passed by. If anyone's planning an offie, Barnstaple hospital is the place. They were brilliant and I was able to repay their kindness by chatting to their visiting students about being the victim of a trauma accident
  • chaos75
    chaos75 Posts: 72
    All the medical staff were brilliant. Even the "workie" ambulance man who had never put on a sling before!
    As for part 2, I'm hoping I'll keep you waiting, like the Stone Roses
  • zingaiya
    zingaiya Posts: 52
    So part 2 will be in 15 years or so?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Stopping to help is a tricky one. If I was the first in line and needed then I would stop and do what has to be done. If the situation is controlled then there is really no point. I have a staff nurse friend who points out that she might not be qualified to help, would be expected to get professionally involved and would be doing a disservice to a ward full of needy people while she is fannying around waiting for an ambulance to arrive
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm a first aider so I tend to stop if an accident has just happened. If it looks like it's under control I'll keep going rather than add to the congestion. Some people are useless in such circumstances and you wouldn't want them 'helping' you.
  • DK1958
    DK1958 Posts: 5
    I think it's really daft, but up until recently nurses in the UK haven't been taught first aid (except for CPR) as part of their training. I'm an ITU nurse, so I might be able to help you if you were on death's door, but if you "just" had a bit of bone sticking out of your leg or blood hosing from a wound I'd be relying on common sense just like the man in the street. Fortunately, first aid is now being incorporated into nurse training.

I guess I'm saying that nurses ought, from the point of view of professional responsibility and basic decency, to stop to help if they can, but don't necessarily expect them to be able to do more than other people.