Spoke noise?

Coxy_UK
Coxy_UK Posts: 297
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a Canyon with Crankbrothers Cobalt 3 wheels and last few rides I started hearing the sort of tinging noise of spokes. At first I believed perhaps the end of the gear cable is touching but I've made sure this is not the case and nothing else touches. It happens really under load as in hard pedaling up a climb or when the rear suspension is doing a lot of work.

Anyone know what this is please? Could spokes need tightening? The bike is only 1-2 months old and done a few hundred miles.

Thanks.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
<font color="blue">My Stumpy FSR Pic 1</font id="blue">
<font color="red">My Stumpy FSR Pic 2</font id="red">

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Are these the wheels with the funny spokes?

get the wheels looked at as it sounds like the spokes are coming lose.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Are they new wheels?.... If they are, it could just be the spokes bedding in. Most prebuilt wheels now days are prestressed so that they are already bed in, then retensioned before you get them.

If they are new I'd give it a few rides and see if they quieten down, i'd still maybe get them retensioned at a shop you know has a decent wheel builder.

If they are old wheels, do as nick says above!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You obviously haven't seen the spokes on those wheels. Plus being CB they are made of low grade cheese.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • *AJ*
    I have no first hand experience of the quality of CB stuff, but I'd be lying if I said reviews hadn't put me off buying things in the past!

I know which wheels/spokes these are, but I didn't realise that they behaved that differently to normal wheels?....
  • Coxy_UK
    The wheels are only as new as the bike, few hundred mileson them. It seems only the rear making any noise.

It's very annoying!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________
    Tides of sin draw tighter and brighter, hours become heavier and weighted, and the shadows smile...dark and wild.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Check the platic pie dish, this is the flat plastic disk that resides between the largest sprocket and hub. Mine came loose during a race at Lee Quarry on Sunday, it sounded just like a spoke twanging.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Which is a good reason for putting it where it should be (the bin).....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • RidingSeed
    RidingSeed Posts: 33
    It might be just them coming loose. Have someone expert in such things take a look at the situation and maybe he'll point out the issue. If the bike's only about 2 months old then I'm pretty sure time will solve the problem. Do some long rides with it and see if the noise still persists, although it shouldn't.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Coxy_UK wrote:
    The wheels are only as new as the bike, few hundred mileson them. It seems only the rear making any noise.

It's very annoying!
    back to the shop with it. dont have a go doing anything to it as spares for those wheels are hard to get.

get it checked.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    Problem with buying a Canyon - off to some shop anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Should be able to tell if a spoke is loose or faulty, simply squeeze two adjacent spokes together, they should all be about the same.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    You do know what they look like? Not as simple as that - weird wheels.
    crank-bro-cobalt-red-wheel-zoom.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • *AJ*
    cooldad wrote:
    You do know what they look like? Not as simple as that - weird wheels.
    crank-bro-cobalt-red-wheel-zoom.jpg

Yeah, I know exactly what they are! I'm still unsure as to why my comment saying they may not be bedded in properly if they are new, is wrong though? Surely that is still possible whether the spokes tension from the rim or whether the tension from halfway up the spoke?
  • cooldad
    Was actually talking to the person in the post before mine, squeezing two adjacent spokes together is rather difficult.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • *AJ*
    Ahhh sorry! I thought it was aimed at me! As it looked like you quoted me!

Thought I was missing something somewhere!.. Lol
  • cooldad
    Silly wheels anyway. Gimmicky and a PITA when something goes wrong
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    which it will....
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cb=constantly breaking
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Coxy_UK
    Done a few rides and the noise persists. Will take a closer look at the plastic disc but it's the sound of multiple spokes and doesn't happen cruising along flat ground.

The wheels look good and came with the bike I wanted but had I the choice I wouldn't of picked these wheels. Over engineered really.
  • cooldad
    Engineered is not the word I would have used.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools