All rounder tyres

Lewis A
Lewis A Posts: 767
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I'm looking for a set of all round tyres, as my smart Sam 2.25 are giving up, with big tears down them, although they have been like that for quite a while... I ride a mixture of terrain, rocky fire road, some loose mud, plain grass slopes, and I quite often ride hard pack trail centres... Difficult I know! 2.25 max or maybe .3's if they have quite a small profile. Thanks

Lewis
Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nobby Nic in Pacestar......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    On sale from On One at the moment.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Lewis A
    Link? I have found some on on-one but there is no mention of pace star (I assume this is the tyres compound). I forgot to mention, I run tubes, not tubeless.

Thanks,

Lewis
  • The Rookie
    Pacestar is indeed the compound, non star are plasticky and not good on roots and rocks, pacstar is what you want, gatestar is for 4x and almost chewing gum soft....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Pacestar is indeed the compound, non star are plasticky and not good on roots and rocks, pacstar is what you want, gatestar is for 4x and almost chewing gum soft....

what is the orc compound nobby nic then ?

i have this on my front wheel and came off the bike yesterday, was fine up to my accident last night.

going back to bontrager xr4 team issue on the front again i think.
  • Lewis A
    Link? What about triple nano compound?
  • The Rookie
    ORC is harder and more durable/less grippy than either star (or EVO) compund.
  • Lewis A
    These the ones?
    http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a90325 ... tAod22EAxA

Having not bought tyres before I assume they come in pairs?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    Them's the ones. That's the price for one
  • Lewis A
    Is it? That's crazy :O
  • swod1
    i heard the nobby nics also came in a trailstar version too, was this tyre version any good ?
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    swod1 wrote:

Just fitted a couple of XR3 Team Issue TLRs here for £19.99 each (rrp £34.99 each).
  • Lewis A
  • Lewis A
    swod1 wrote:

Just fitted a couple of XR3 Team Issue TLRs here for £19.99 each (rrp £34.99 each).

Link?
  • kingderham
    kingderham Posts: 206
    Maxxi Ardents.
    A mouthfull of mud, i guess ive crashed

Giant xtc se
    Trek 1.2compact
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Nobby Nic is an awful all round tyre, useless if its damp or if there is a root or a rock in my experience.

at the moment Im running specialized Butcher control up front and a Purgatory on the rear in 2.3" roll wells and the Butcher is just amazing for grip if im honest, as a combo its just the best i've ridden for trail tyres in a while.

and at £30 a pop there decent value as well than over priced schaulbe tyres. My other recommendation would be maxxis minion front and high roller rear.
  • The Rookie
    Nobby Nic is an awful all round tyre, useless if its damp or if there is a root or a rock in my experience.
    Your experience being only relevant if you know and tell us what compound, the different compounds ride very differently. Poor on roots/rocks suggests either OE or ORC.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I had a Fat Albert Trailstar/Nobby Nic Pacestar combo on my FS (which came on the bike). The Nic was absolutely fine. I've gone Hans Dampfs now though and they seem better in every way.
  • cooldad
    Or get a pair of these. Excellent all round tyres, tough and large volume even though 2.1s. £36 for a pair.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181080715537? ... 1438.l2649
    BR review on the fatter ones.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... c-10-37474
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    On One Smorgasbord in Trail Extreme dual compound. Cheap and very, very cheerful.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Your experience being only relevant if you know and tell us what compound, the different compounds ride very differently. Poor on roots/rocks suggests either OE or ORC.

Softest one available i can never remember the names on them. awful tyre.

Muddy Mary freeride was brilliant though weighed a metric ton.
  • cooldad
    On One Smorgasbord in Trail Extreme dual compound. Cheap and very, very cheerful.

I've been tempted to try them. Seriously cheap if they are any good.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • paulneenan76
    paulneenan76 Posts: 777
    Cooldad - I'm running the dual compound Smorg's at the moment. The performance is very good - the price is very, very good.

I was a first timer at Afan for a 3 days a couple of weeks ago - didn't let me down

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    I was all set to try the Smorgasbords until I found my reduced price Bonti XR3s just down the road, they look like a real bargain.
  • Lewis A
    I've seen some reviews that say they're good, as usual I shall see what the bank allows! I'll try for nobby nic pacestar s, if not then ill try on ones and maybe give y'all some feedback...
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    I've got hans dampf's on mine and they are fantastic! Got them from bikediscount in Germany! Arrived in a few days, they do a great deal on the trailstar/pacestar pair! Softer one goes on the front obviously.

They are pretty big though! But not heavy by any means!
  • The Rookie

Softest one available i can never remember the names on them. awful tyre.
    Gatestar which is like chewing gum and designed for 4X, I doubt it...I'll call BS on your 'review'!
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The gate star ones aren't actually that soft, at least the centre compound isn't. The outer shoulder tread is very soft though. The grip is pretty good from in dry conditions from any of the triple compound Nics, but in the wet they can get a bit dicey and I think the actual tread design itself leads to a slightly unpredictable feel, they might suddenly snap mid corner or surprise you on a rock slab for example. I've found the Hans Dampfs are much more predictable, actually roll better and perhaps offer a tad more grip all-round, but definitely more in the corners. Yes they are a big tyre, but they are very, very good, dead easy to setup tubeless and for the deal on bike-discount they are a bargain. Frankly unless you are seriously bothered about going XC-race fast or they physically won't fit in your frame, I can't see any reason not to run them on most bikes, but t'is a shame the 2.25 version they do for 650b doesn't come in 26 or 29er size. Still outstanding tyres that have very quickly become my go to tyre for both bikes.
  • swod1
    what about fat albert in 2.25, are these good for an all rounder tyre ?