Setting up a team/club

ianspeare
ianspeare Posts: 110
edited July 2013 in Amateur race
How hard can it be? What kind if things would I have to think about and consider before doing so? I would look for them to compete in local road races and TTs. Would it be better to look for sposorship or go down the not for profit/social enterprise route? Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    New club is good. Competing is good. Have a think about organising some events as well, rather than just riding other people's. That would give the club a real positive impact on whatever region you are competing in and would probably increase sponsorship potential as well.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    ianspeare wrote:
    How hard can it be? What kind if things would I have to think about and consider before doing so? I would look for them to compete in local road races and TTs. Would it be better to look for sposorship or go down the not for profit/social enterprise route? Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    Keep in mind if you get sponsors, you need to pay BC more when you register your team/club. It's quite expensive actually, around 70 quid per sponsor, whereas just an unsponsored club is around 60 quid total (can't remember the exact amounts, give them a call to find out).

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubs/ ... lubs-FAQ-0
  • 16mm
    16mm Posts: 545
    Check with your local British Cycling region about colours before you design your kit.
    Some regions have a lot of clubs with similar colours, and I think they can ask a new club to change colours if there are already clubs with similar kit.
    A potentially expensive mistake.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    ianspeare wrote:

Just so I get this right... what do you mean about "not for profit"? Are you expecting to get sponsors and receive a profit from the club? Or do you mean generate income that will be used for the benefit of the club?
  • 16mm
    hammerite wrote:
    ianspeare wrote:

Just so I get this right... what do you mean about "not for profit"? Are you expecting to get sponsors and receive a profit from the club? Or do you mean generate income that will be used for the benefit of the club?

A good point. Sponsors are come from a rider owning a business who would like to see their Company name on a jersey, and support either up and coming rides or their mates. Either is great, but it's not a great business case.

I'm not really sure it's a 'profitable' enterprise for club or sponsor at 'club' level.

Around here there are loads of new pub-based cycling clubs, neither for profit or social enterprise, and they all seem to be flourishing.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    16mm wrote:
    hammerite wrote:
    ianspeare wrote:

A good point. Sponsors are come from a rider owning a business who would like to see their Company name on a jersey, and support either up and coming rides or their mates. Either is great, but it's not a great business case.

I'm not really sure it's a 'profitable' enterprise for club or sponsor at 'club' level.

Around here there are loads of new pub-based cycling clubs, neither for profit or social enterprise, and they all seem to be flourishing.

You'll need a club constitution, rules, bank account, affiliation, insurance, website etc...... Any income will probably be swallowed up sorting all that out. If there's any spare think about using it to subsidise club kit slightly.

Have a think about what other local clubs there are too though and why you want to set a club up. There might just be something already set up down the road that offers what you're after and they'd love someone as keen as you seem to get involved.
  • ianspeare
    I suppose the non profit aspect would have to involve some sort of community enhancement or association with a local charity. I have experience of using Facebook/twitter/blogging for local charities, businesses and a uni club and believe I could utilise this as one of my local clubs is a bit traditional in their online presence (just a basic website)

Never thought of a pub cc- kind of makes me think of Sunday League style things

I've also experience in organising a few events and have several ideas for fun/unusual cycling events that I think would work. I suppose this and setting up a club is all about having people on board that share the same vision
  • 16mm
    Offer to help your local club?
  • ianspeare
    Probably the best way. If at least to get the experience behind the scenes