Lengthening a steerer tube

notax
notax Posts: 138
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I am giving one of my bikes an overhaul and have bought some second hand, but very good condition forks for it. Problem is I think the steerer tube is too short at only 178mm. The bike is in the LBS so I can't be sure, but wondered what options there are so I can go in prepared? Can I fit a new steerer tube, or maybe get the existing one lengthened?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe but unlikely. Depends on the forks. New uppers more likely and probably rather expensive.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    new upper assy if you want to be safe. there are some extenders that work like the old quill stem but as modern forks do not hve the inner diameter the same as quill forks they are not suitable.

how much too short?
    what headset? what stem? lower stack height versions might be available.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • notax
    Thanks, forks are fairly recent Fox 32 RLs. I guess the steerer may be about 1cm too short, I use a CK headset. One of my friends is a skilled metal worker so I guess he could weld on an extension - especially if I cut the tube off another set of knackered forks...

Worst case scenario I'll stick them on Ebay!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Notax wrote:
    One of my friends is a skilled metal worker so I guess he could weld on an extension -
    in that case talk to him.the issue is the ID is not that controlled so he will have to make a sleeve to fit. dont use another steerer as it might not be the same ID.

i did on my project bike as i was using old quill forks that have controlled IDs and i used a aheadset fork steerer as a sleeve as it had a controlled OD.

if he is good on a lathe then he should be able to make up a suitable part and should also be aware of the best way to join it. If the steerer is not steel then it will be will be a bit more fun.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    I know of an engineer that extends steering tubes, he bonds & presses the extension tube in and then pins it, he hasn't had any failures.

p4pb3448878.jpg

If you were to get someone to do this type of extension they'd have to know what they doing and have the right tools.
  • notax
    Thanks guys, that's really helpful 8)
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    I can also confirm the above method works...

A friend of mine got a bargain set of Rock shox revs the internals were knackered and the steerer was tiny (from a jump bike with a tiny headtube). He's pretty handy on the lathe and makes motorcycle parts and also parts for a few top fuel dragsters, his workshop at home is pretty impressive and has more or less paid for itself.

Anyway he sleeved the steerer and extended it as above, he also re engineered the internals of the forks and to be fair to him they feel fantastic! The benefits of being handy with metal work huh? He's also made a tool to remove bearings from shimano Hollowtech bottom brackets... He can now replace the bearing on them as quickly as you can replace a BB! And it only costs him £3 a time! I personally would just replace the BB! But he doesn't like to be told "do not dismantle" lol