Shimano SLX brakes

frankspencer1979
frankspencer1979 Posts: 525
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Am looking at upgrading my Elixir 3's (the lever's are literally falling a apart.) SLX looks the most sensible all round option to go for, and available for a good price from bike-discount once they're back in stock.

There seems to be a few types though and I'm not sure what to go for!? I have SRAM X7 shifters at the moment, but I'll be changing them at some point. Do the brakes just clamp to the bar or do they have to fit with a Shimano shifter? And how do I work out what adapters I need?

Oh, and I can use any rotors can't I!?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on the mounts on your bike/forks. But you can use the existing rotors.
    The brakes just clamp to the bar.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I had Avid Elixir 5's on a previous bike, they weren't bad but my current Shimano 596 Alivio's (very similar to SLX, but without tool free reach or finned pads) are much better.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad wrote:
    The brakes just clamp to the bar.

Ok, it's just they say they're compatible with I-spec shifters? I assume it means that's optional then and they can just be clamps to the bar in the normal fashion.
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends on the mounts on your bike/forks.

Yeah, I don't fully understand the difference between post mount/IS2000 etc'. Am gonna stick with 180/160. The brakes I have now came on my original bike and fortunately they just swapped straight over onto my new frame.

Rear brake looks like this on seat stay

IMAG1638_zps94fdcb31.jpg

Front brake

IMAG1637_zps1a888135.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Front is post mount (2 posts!) rear is IS.

New callipers will bolt straight onto the adaptors WITHOUT the alignment washers, but you'll need shorter bolts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.