Knocking after new headset and forks

brenthobson
brenthobson Posts: 3
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey all I'm new to this, so bear with me!

Got some mint second hand rockshox tora's so set about my carrera vulcan (2008), took the old xcm fork off but the headset was trashed, so bought a new ritchey comp integrated headset. Pressed it in, put forks on, all ok but there's a slight knock from somewhere. There is a slight movement on the rubber on the headset and the knocking stops when I put the brake on.
Also the wheel wouldn't fit on the forks, but only by a mm or so, so put abit of force on the fork to open it up alittle.

Is the knocking the headset or forks or the hub or the brake? I can't seem to pin point the noise.

Just want some ideas on what to check and adjust?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    did you fit the crown race to the new forks? had the ol owner removed the old crown race?

do you have a gap between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yes old one removed and new one fitted! No gap on the steerer. Noise sounds to be coming below steerer tho?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Vulcan doesn't use an integrated headset........

Or did you mean semi intergrated?

Hold front brake on, rock bike with finger touching both headtube and fork crown, can you feel movement?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes old one removed and new one fitted! No gap on the steerer. Noise sounds to be coming below steerer tho?
    If you are responding to Nick's question, this is your problem. There should be a gap between the top of the steerer tube and the top of the stem.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools