Rear derailleur Marin

keh87
keh87 Posts: 9
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Just got an old Marin palisade from a friend, just needed a clean. Cleaned it up and went out on it to "test" it, gears were grinding so tried to change gear then "clunk" the derailleur was spun round and the chain was around it. I'm kinda new to bikes so dont know whats what, it looks like its sheared off but wouldn't know what it's suppose to look like! I've attached some pics! hopefully some of you can identify where/what the problem is,

I don't know if I need a new derailleur or new rear mech?

Any advice would be great
Cheers

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You at least need a new rear mech.
  • keh87
    You at least need a new rear mech.

Ok, does it matter what type ( I mean does it have to be an exage 300) I know it's a 7 speed
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nope any Shimano 7,8, or 9 speed will work. Just find an Alivio or Altus on CRC.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • keh87
    cooldad wrote:
    Nope any Shimano 7,8, or 9 speed will work. Just find an Alivio or Altus on CRC.

New rear mech will sort it then?

Cheers thank you,
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Can't really tell. It is good for a start. Do you have the skill or will or tools to do it?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would replace the chain, cassette and cables at the same time, and maybe the chainrings.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Check the hanger that the mech bolts onto is not bent too.
  • mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    I would expect the hanger is bent and was partly bent when you got it, hence the jumping gears. It's very unlikely that the mech will be trashed like that and the hanger be saveable. Also check the chain for any bent links, or links where plates areoopening apart. Again, another possible cause of the problem. Sadly, if you need a new chain chances are the cassette will need to be replaced too else it won't mesh with a new chain.
  • keh87
    Hope it don't need all that! it only cost me £30 :$

Me old man is handy with bikes so he'll help fix it, all the above parts mentioned I take it again it doesn't matter which brand type I get?
  • keh87
    Reckon around £70 for the parts mentioned above, unsure now