Condor Acciaio vs Specialized Allez Elite? A silly question?

antybrow
antybrow Posts: 10
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Would it be ridiculous of me to go for a Condor Acciaio rather than the Specialized Allez Elite?

I haven't ridden in ages and am not at the peak of fitness...I used to ride mountain bikes a lot and want to get back on the road and improve the fitness. My main riding will be commuting, but I'd really love to be able to step it up and go further distances.

I'm sorely tempted by the Acciaio, largely because I love the service at Condor and the idea of getting it built just for me. But is that a bonkers indulgence and an utter waste of money? Am I at risk of being the worst kind of MAMIL? Perhaps even the Elite is as well and I should opt for a bog standard Allez and just get moving.

Really interested in the views. I like to think the Acciaio would last me longer and suit me better from day 1, but perhaps I'm kidding myself.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think the answer depends on what you mean by "ages". If you haven't ridden for quite a few years then my advice would be to get a cheap (sub £500) second hand bike and thrash it until it dies. By then, you will have a good idea of what works for you and you can splash the cash to the best effect.
  • antybrow
    antybrow Posts: 10
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    I think the answer depends on what you mean by "ages".

I haven't ridden for approx 15 years...
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    If you can afford it, and can somehow "justify" it to yourself, go for it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I "started" riding about 2 1/2 years ago - I say Started - I've ridden since I could sit on a bike - but only really for transport.
    I had a cheapo (well - relatively speaking) hybrid - but when my wife got a Spec Sirrus we discovered I'd spin out down hill and she'd overtake me .... so I needed better gearing ... well, a year later and she coerced me into buying a road bike (I like drop bars) - we bought an entry level Allez (with carbon forks) - boy was it a nice ride - again, relatively speaking. I've used that to get into cycling - now, having put 4000 miles on that (and >1000 on a CX) I've upgraded to a (second hand) carbon bike.
    Can I tell the difference between the Allez and the carbon Tarmac? Well, it feels a bit nicer and seems to go a little quicker - but thats probably mostly down to the amount of riding I've been doing this year.

So, my advice - get the bike that is likely to get you riding and you keep wanting to ride it. If, like I was - you're not sure that riding will be for you then a second hand bike may be a better bet - you can always upgrade/sell on - but if you know it's something you want to do then go for it - get the best you can justify.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I had a 15 year break from cycling, then got a cheap BSO in a box, decided I still liked cycling so sold it and bought a proper MTB. Gradually found myself doing less off road and more on road, so fitted slick tyres, but the weight, gearing and position were less than ideal. Considered a carbon Orbea road bike from my LBS, but they wouldn't budge on the price and Epic were doing them cheaper. Trip to Epic to test ride one and discussed my cycling needs, ended up with a completely different bike, a racelight Tk, because It was clear I wanted to ride all year round and wanted 25mm tyres and proper mudguards. The bike has seen me through the past 6 years of all weather riding and was still in perfect nick when I stripped it down a couple of weeks ago. Specced every component, and all I have had to change is the saddle which I found I didn't get on with. Most rational purchase I have ever made.

So my advice would be go talk to a decent bike shop about your cycling needs, ability, budget etc and see what they suggest. I'd echo the advice about getting a bike that you'll really want to ride.