Slick tyre pressures

KeefG76
KeefG76 Posts: 14
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've just put a set of slicks on my MTB to assist in training (I'm doing the Scotland Coast to Coast in September and plan on using slicks for day 1 and knobbly's for day 2), the slicks in question being Schwalbe City Jet's, on the side of the tyre it instructs to inflate to 85psi but its like riding with concrete wheels.

Are these pressures too high or do they need to be that high to reduce friction etc?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Higher the better. It doesn't say inflate to - that is just a max. Some rims are limited to a max pressure too.

I run hard as possible on the front as the suspension takes the knocks and run around 60 in the rear - 40 if I'd like a little more give.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    KeefG76 wrote:
    Hi all,

Schwalbe City Jet's, on the side of the tyre it instructs to inflate to 85psi but its like riding with concrete wheels.
    that is thin slicks for you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    Don't enter crap road rides :-)
  • KeefG76
    KeefG76 Posts: 14
    Thanks for all the replies folks!

So I could realistically drop the pressures down a bit for a little more comfort, bear in mind i weight 17st though (was 19st at the end of January!). My only concern is the amount of friction i'll gain in dropping the pressures down!

Is there anyway I can check what the max pressure for my rims are? My bike is a GT Aggressor XC3 (2010 model).

LOL @ Concorde - had no choice, I was railroaded into doing it!
  • Mindermast
    Mindermast Posts: 124
    I am riding at 35 psi on my cyclocross bike with 32mm tyres. Pretty fast on the road, and stable! They go up to 85 psi, but I didn't feel the need to try that yet. You should do your own tests. Start as low as you dare and then increase the pressure each day until there is no improvement anymore. The times of 200 psi on the road are pretty much over.