Cateye Velo Wireless v's Endomondo - distance discrepancies

KeefG76
KeefG76 Posts: 14
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

New around here and wondered if anyone could help with a small query....

I recently purchased a Cateye Velo Wireless computer so I could keep a track of my speed and distance etc without having to look at my phone, and specifically Endomondo, whilst riding. Last night I went out and ran Endomondo alongside my new Velo and the discrepancies in the distance I cycled are pretty bad.

Endomondo stated I'd done 48.23km whilst the Velo reported I'd done 50.12km....which one would you be more inclined to believe?

Cheers

Comments

• homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    If the Cateye is setup accurately and has a healthy battery, that. GPS can be pretty flaky dependent on environmental and other factors.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Velo if you've set it up properly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • KeefG76
    KeefG76 Posts: 14
    Well i selected 26" tyre during setup, and its a brand spanking new unit so I guess I'll believe the Velo then!
  • bikaholic
    bikaholic Posts: 350
    Does Endomondo use topographic map data for distance calculations?

For instance, draw an imaginary semi-circle in front of you and mark the beginning and end points A and B.

From above, AB will look like a straight line, the length of which equals the diameter of the semi-circle. Whereas, if you describe the semi-circle, it will be greater (r * Pi).

In other words, I am inclined to believe that the Cateye Velo Wireless computer will be the more accurate (assuming it doesn't have huge round-off errors) of the two because it just measures the actual distance travelled with surface undulations (hills and valleys etc) already taken into account - the Endomondo has to make calculations based on data that may or may not be up to date.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    26" tyre can be all sorts of sizes - more accurate to measure the circumference and enter the size manually.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • steviecapt
    steviecapt Posts: 70
    ive got the same unit, i checked mine against the speedo on my car, it was spot on, set mine to 26" and 2.1 tyres, if i remember right, it was a while ago.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    LOL but car speedo's are never right!

To be correct you HAVE to mesure tyre circumference and enter manually, no 2 tyres of the same size come up the same (The 2.15 on the rear of mine is wider than the 2.25 on the front - although only by 1-2mm - when it should be 2-3mm narrower).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.