a small milestone for me!!

Triangle Kebab
Triangle Kebab Posts: 85
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
I'm very pleased with my self as to day i managed 37.6 miles, i know that is probably a very insignificant distance for most of you but that is the furthest i have ever managed,with an average speed of 15.2mph. I actually still felt like i could of gone a bit further. I really feel that i am getting somewhere with this cycling game!! Just wanted to share that with someone.
Thanks

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Well done, that's a decent distance, makes the first 50 seem do-able.

It was 37.6 for me today too, but that was the temperature not the distance (28.3miles) :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Well done - next target a 50!
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    cattytown wrote:
    Well done - next target a 50!

Yes this - well done :)
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I'm very pleased with my self as to day i managed 37.6 miles, i know that is probably a very insignificant distance for most of you but that is the furthest i have ever managed,with an average speed of 15.2mph. I actually still felt like i could have gone a bit further. I really feel that i am getting somewhere with this cycling game!! Just wanted to share that with someone.
    Thanks

Well done!It's not an insignificant distance and it doesn't really matter what other people are doing (not to mention that average speed over that distance puts me to shame :oops: ) the most important thing is that you enjoy yourself. :)
  • thanks for the words of encouragement, i certianly feel that my first 50 is just around the corner.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Well done! Keep up the good work :D
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Foxy77
    Foxy77 Posts: 1
    Well done Kebab.

I've been riding just over a month and managed 43 miles on Sunday. More than 10 miles longer than my last and it was rather hot! Also averaged 15.2 mph.
  • Well done Kebab. All our milestone are fantastic achievements. Looking forward to hearing about your 50 whenever you make it.

Keep us posted.
  • Agreed, as a newbie myself i think passing milestones is a major indication of improvement. Very well done, it's good to share too.
  • Agreed, as a newbie myself i think passing milestones is a major indication of improvement. Very well done, it's good to share too.

Hear Hear!
  • Guanajuato
    Guanajuato Posts: 399
    Well done - it is a good feeling to keep building things up. When I started doing regular rides (around this time last year) the thought of anything over 20 miles was daunting. I had to psych myself up for a 10-15 miler and would come back absolutely knackered. After a couple of weeks, 20-30 miles was acheivable. But time limitations meant further than that wasn't practical.
    Fast forward a year and I did a 50 miler. I'd say the only issue was that I wasn't properly prepared in that I didn't have enough water or food. With about 10 miles to go, I suddenly got really hungry and the world started spinning. Up to that point, I'd been fine. Those last 10 miles were hard. I'd done plenty of high 30s and low 40s without any issue, so I thought I'd be fine to tag on an extra 10 miles.
    Last night I did what's become a (fairly) regular 35 mile loop with ~3000ft of climbing (about half of it in the first 10 miles). I felt I'd had a really good workout and was tired, but not absolutely knackered like I used to be after my original ~10 mile loop a year ago.

Everyone is different in their physiology, so 50 miles with a single bottle and nothing to eat might be fine for you. But I'd err on the side of caution and take 2 bottles and a few flapjacks or gels.

Keep at it! :mrgreen:
  • Top job! Can't imagine myself doing anything over 15 miles at the moment! So I am really impressed!
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Hey, 37.5 miles is nothing and that average speed is rubbish!!!!!

.......Just joking; good job, keep motivated and you'll slowly improve (winter riding is the biggest help, but also very difficult at times) marginal gains and all that!
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Top job! Can't imagine myself doing anything over 15 miles at the moment! So I am really impressed!

Not even 15.0001 miles!? :lol:
  • cattytown
    It's all about building up. My first ride back on the bike last year was 1.25 miles into the local town centre. It's slightly uphill. I could hardly breathe and needed a large cold drink. Doing that a couple of times, then three miles a few time then five and last week I did 58.

Once I was doing 15-20 miles, I liked the fat that I was getting back and thinking I could have gone a little further.

Build up. Mentally reward yourself - tell yourself "that's the furthest I have been" and enjoy the achievement.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • thanks for all the positive comments, i have decided that next thursday i am going for the 50 mile barrier, as that is a day off for me. Wish me luck.
  • cattytown
    Good luck - hope you enjoy it. Just don't try for the sprint start :-)
    Giant Defy 2
  • Top job! Can't imagine myself doing anything over 15 miles at the moment! So I am really impressed!

Not even 15.0001 miles!? :lol:

I dunno, pushing it a bit for me! Ahahaha!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm very pleased with my self as to day i managed 37.6 miles

Well that's my morning commute :D:wink: :P :lol:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava