2013 Rockhopper replacement tyre

MrPeriPeri
MrPeriPeri Posts: 5
edited July 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi all,

I just bought a secondhand 2013 Rockhopper and I need to get a replacement rear tyre - it appears the previous owner enjoyed skidding around as the rear tyre is smooth in the centre.

Not sure what I need to do this and would like some advice / help to point me in the right direction.

Can I get just a replacement tyre and keep the existing wheel and inner tube? Or is there more to it than that?

What tyre would people reccommend for a mixture of mostly off road and occasional road riding?

Any help will be much appreicated.

Phil

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You just need a tyre.

Look on the side and see what side it is (29er I think) and buy one that size.
  • Ok thanks for the reply.

Yes it is a 29er 2.1 I think.

The reason I asked is when I was looking online at tyres they were pictured on a rim with no spokes so I wasn't sure if that was included and I would then have to swap all the spokes and hub over (no idea how to do that!)

So it should be as easy as buying the tyre, deflate and swap the tyre over, then pump the inner back up? Are any specific tools required to get the tyre of the rim or are they fairly easy to swap over?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Talk about back to basics!

You'll need some tyre levers to get the tyre off and on again, being careful not to damage the tube.
  • Hence me posting in the beginners section.. :oops:

Thanks for the info.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Spend some time in 'Read this first' below. Very useful.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Excellent link, thank you
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    if (when) you get a flat 'tyre' you'll need to get the tyre off, replace/repair the inner tube and put the tyre back on...possibly in the dark and or rain so I'd practice doing this a few times so you've got the knack for when you need to do it trailside
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8