Flying to US with bike - anything special to consider?

hard-rider
hard-rider Posts: 460
edited July 2013 in MTB general
I'm thinking of taking my bike when I fly to the US and want to be check if there is anything special I need to consider with regards to packaging the bike before I go. I heard that the frame and especially the wheels need to be clean with all mud and dirt removed. Does the TSA open the bike bag / box to inspect at any point?

Also, considering what the best option to transport the bike is. Bike box from LBS is a cheap option but what if the TSA open it then it won't get repacked and sealed properly again I assume. Also, it may encourage the baggage handlers to stack heavy items on it as it has nice flat surfaces. I assume the soft bike bags will only offer limited protection from crushing but are lighter than the rigid bike cases which with a 29er FS will be touching close to 26-28Kg on the scales. I've read blogs where people have successfully transported their bikes using nothing more than a CTC plastic bag with some padding around the vulnerable parts but I'm not sure I'd like to trust a ££££ FS 29er bike to just a bag.

If I choose to use a bike bag I'd like to keep it under €350 so I'm considering the Evoc, B&W Back Box riigid but very heavy. any other options? I thought of the Scion Aero Comfort but it looks too much for a road bike and unstable.

One thing with the bike bags is they mostly use QR skewers for the forks and rear axle but my bike has a 20mm axle fork and 12mm Syntace rear axle so the skewers wouldn't really work and I'll need to fudge something.

I'd appreciate any comments and experiences from those that have travelled to the US with their bikes.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    how long are you going for?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hard-rider
    Most likely a few years so effectively one way. I could send it with my personal effects that will be shipped over but that will be 4-6 months after I arrive there and would like to have the bike before.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    for the cost of the bag/box and excess bagage costs you could buy a half decent (or decent) bike when out there.

I have flown with bike around europe with no bike bag just tyres at low pressure and bars rotated and pedals off with no probs and as i had little luggage in was counted in the check in bagage weight.

I would be have a serious count up of costs and ask the carrier what they charge.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • hard-rider
    Yeah the cost does weigh on me but when I consider the bike cost me £3.5K then skimping on some decent protection in the form of a bike bag for travel might seem a little silly.

My main concern is whether there is anything I need to consider when enter the US with the bike.
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    I have used the DHB soft bag (which is actually pretty heavy duty, rigid base and padded the rest) going to Spain many times with zero problem. That's with pipe lagging and bubble wrap too. It cost me about £100. Extra luggage isn't much, to Spain only about £30 and to Canada later this year only £20. Take the wheels off then put the axles back in the bike to stop crushing.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I'm also interested to see if there is anything special about flying to the US as i'm off there in October 8)

I have an Evoc bag which i've used several times before (to fly to Europe) and that's always worked well. I'm just going to shell out the $150 each way to get the bike out there - i'm only there for a week but don't want to hire anything.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Shackster
    Shackster Posts: 257
    I've got the dhb bag too and it is good quality and very big, but both my rotors got bent using the wheel pockets inside. Bit of a pain but I'd take them off.

Two friends have the evoc bag and it looks very good.
    2011 Canyon XC 8.0 (Monza Race Red)
    1996(?) dyna-tech titanium HT; pace RC-35's; Hope Ti Hubs etc etc
    Bianchi Road Bike
  • clamps81
    clamps81 Posts: 315
    Went to the States and back last year with mine. It's a 26" full suss with 15mm through axle on the front. Used an Evoc bike bag and it worked a treat. Use common sense when pulling it apart to place in the bag - the evoc comes with nice velcro straps for holding things down, but there's no harm in supplementing that with some copious cable tieing.

The TSA did indeed go through mineands I'd packed some kit in there to get my bags under the weight limit. They lost some bits. Only bolts and stuff, but annoying nonetheless. In hindsight I'd have cable tied any loose things together and placed them in bags or something as it makes it easier for them to keep track of everything when they hastily hurl it all back in. A bit of foam tubing and the light is also a good idea. Definitely make sure it is completely clean before you pack it though.

Had to pay oversize baggage fee for it and then go to special counters at either end, but that sort of thing varies from airport to airport. Worth investigating that side of things before you go so that you have ample time to sort things at either end.
    Nukeproof Mega AM

Tomac Snyper - Now sadly in pieces
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I have carried my bike to Canada a couple of times - padded up in a bike bag - Canadian security checks involve opening the bags and swabbing inside to check for residues - expect it on internal flights and when you leave the US. I don't think there is any other check.

If I were taking a good bike I woul dbe looking at a proper bike bag or padding it up well in a bike box - I have taken bikes on euro flights in large plastic bags and even uncovered and unprotected - I wouldnt recommend it though.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    I have carried my bike to Canada a couple of times - padded up in a bike bag - Canadian security checks involve opening the bags and swabbing inside to check for residues - expect it on internal flights and when you leave the US. I don't think there is any other check.

Do they do this on flights into the country from abroad? What are they checking for? Will I have a problem with a bit of dirt on the bike?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I know the flights are dearer, but BA will carry the bike FOC, just insist on it being in a bike bag, as it's one way you could go cheap on that and then wrap it in bubble wrap like crazy inside, the only precuation they suggest is lowering the tyre pressures, on an MTB 25 will be fine as even putting it in a perfect vacuum will only get you to 40 psi guage! On a road bike with 120psi plus it may be adviseable.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JF5000
    JF5000 Posts: 3
    I'd echo the "fly BA" tip. If you can keep it under 32kg you'll only get charged as if it was an additional suitcase. £32 each way last time I did it.

I've done it twice and the TSA opened the box both times but only when I was leaving. To be safe though, make sure there's nothing loose inside it and use TSA-approved locks. Big things like shoes, Camelbak and helmet can go in fine. Other than that, use loads of bubble wrap and pipe lagging, and fix it in place with tape as they don't always re-pack the box very well. Any mud on it might cause a problem. I presume this is a disease prevention measure as they ask if you've been on farmland recently on the Customs form when you enter.

I use a Polaris bike box - you only need to use a box about 3 times to make buying one worthwhile, but if you're going for a few years I'd be tempted to just buy a bike out there. If you're in a mountain biking area there'll be loads on Craigslist and even new ones are cheap compared to the UK.