Alfine 8 conversion for the Charge

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
Looking for ways to make the charge more bomb proof. Anyone commuting with an alfine 8 hub gear bike? I think that it might make sense on the charge as it will be easier to maintain. I currently only use the big ring on the charge (50/34) and have 9 gears (11-34) so I think that the 8 gear alfine would be fine.

Also any idea on cost of having a wheel made up (with disc brake compatability)?
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Pretty sure the Alfine is disc ready from the box, so just the cost of the hub, the shifter gubbins, and the wheel build if your rim is good. probably around £250?
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • menthel
    Big_Paul wrote:
    Pretty sure the Alfine is disc ready from the box, so just the cost of the hub, the shifter gubbins, and the wheel build if your rim is good. probably around £250?

Thanks, I am likely to get the whole thing built rather than reuse what I have so that it is better quality. The alexrims dp-17's I have at the moment have the whiff of bargain basement about them...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I have been running Alfine 8 for about 4 years. It is a reliable and efficient piece of kit, perfect for rolling commutes but a bit lacking in range for very hilly ones.
    Cold weather performance below -10C can get sticky so leave it in the desired gear for riding, it takes about 20 mins to warm up and shift. Oil bath solves the cold weather performance and makes the hub roll a bit more freely, most people use auto transmission fluid rather than Shimano oil.
    Sprockets are std 3-prong. You can fit Sturmey Archer 1/8" sprockets which can be reversed for double the wear BUT they are a tad thick and need an hour of careful thinning with some coarse sandpaper on a flat surface so that the circlip can properly grip.

If you are having one built, use a rim without braking surface. My front dynohub was built using DT EX5.1
    You need the correct coloured anti-rotation washers for your dropout arrangement.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    I have a Trek Soho with Alfine 8-speed hub that I use specifically for winter commuting. It also has the hub/drum brake set-up. The range is good etc - no probs there - but I do find it heavy compared to a derailluer or single speed set-up - even 'ponderous' if that's not to strong a description. It does help with the fitness though!
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • menthel
    Thanks all. The conversion is off now after the bike was knackered in a SMIDSY earlier!
    RIP commute...
  • raymondo60
    Hope you are OK menthel - was this on the commute home tonight? If you want to buy/borrow a commuter bike let me know.....
    Raymondo

• menthel
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Hope you are OK menthel - was this on the commute home tonight? If you want to buy/borrow a commuter bike let me know.....

It was. I am fine, just a little bruised. I have another bike but am going to be getting the charge replaced/repaired as it is also the boy trailer bike towing vehicle of choice as well as my commuter!
    RIP commute...
  • raymondo60
    menthel wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:

It was. I am fine, just a little bruised. I have another bike but am going to be getting the charge replaced/repaired as it is also the boy trailer bike towing vehicle of choice as well as my commuter!

Hope this doesn't affect the Dunwich Dynamo for you next weekend!
    Raymondo

• menthel
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:

Hope this doesn't affect the Dunwich Dynamo for you next weekend!

I am now feeling fine and the best bike (now my only bike currently!) will be out for the DD!
    RIP commute...
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    I have a Trek Soho with Alfine 8-speed hub that I use specifically for winter commuting. It also has the hub/drum brake set-up. The range is good etc - no probs there - but I do find it heavy compared to a derailluer or single speed set-up - even 'ponderous' if that's not to strong a description. It does help with the fitness though!

The Nexus 8 in my Corratec runs in grease, I don't know how much is psychological, but it feels like you're dragging all those little cogs and pawls through a bucket of lard, ponderous is actually a perfect description!
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Mr.Duck
    Mr.Duck Posts: 174
    Do hub gears need servicing? Everyone says they are great because they are so low maintenance, but if they ever go wrong it's going to be a major pain and/or expensive. A derailleur and cassette setup can just be cleaned with a wire brush and adjusted with a phillips head screwdriver to keep it going.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Ideally they need a periodic lubricant change.

My 1x9 Derailleur setup has now gone over 3000 miles without anything but a chain (rusty from a very wet and salty day) and regular chain lube, not sure how much less maintenance I could do!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.