I'm sorry, yet another which bike thread

mattkidney
mattkidney Posts: 4
edited July 2013 in Commuting general
Hi another newbie with the same ol' question

I'm currently riding a Spec RockHopper '04 (Ithink) with hybrid tyres on it 26x1.5
It gets me around town nicely and to work, which is only 4.5Km (uphill going, downhill on the way back)
I'm only using the 3 highest gears and now the front derailler is completely seized. My best mate is a bike mechanic and gave it his best shot to free it with no luck.

So being a man I obviously bypassed the crazy notion of swapping out the derailler and went straight to the new bike option.

Getting a new more efficient bike will give my wife and I more choice in places to rent, I've extended the areas to around 6 miles from work, which I know to some of you doesn't seem like much, but we are dealing with the west of Ireland here, so mostly wind and rain.

I've been thinking to go for more a race oriented hybrid (I don't want drop bars, with the driving behaviour of people here), aluminium frame, carbon forks, a better gear choice than I currently have, disc brakes would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Ideally I'd like to buy it from the shop my mate works at out of loyalty and to support local business (Specialized, Giant, GT, Cube, Trek and others), looking at Spec Sirrus Elite/Comp or Trek Fx 7.6, but I know I can get a 10% discount from Halfords too, which makes the Boardman range quite appealing.

I'll be using the cycle to work scheme my company offer.

Comments