Good entry level cycling watch.

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
My girlfriend has a garmin cycling watch that we use when we go out on the bikes together. I think it is a fantastic piece of kit but unfortunatly I cannot afford its £300 price tag at the moment due to investing in my new bike.

Can anyone tell me if there are good cycling watches at a reasonable price? The main tasks I am interested in it being able to do is distance, speed, time and an accurate calculation of calories burned.

All information much appreciated!

Cheers
Craig
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No such thing as an accurate calculation of calories burnt, but for everything else a basic cycle computer - under £20
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You can get a Garmin 10 forerunner gps watch at Halfords for iirc £80. They have them at my local branch on sale but they arent in the cycling dept they are in the leisure dept as its more a runners thing.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Ive a Forerunner 110 pretty much the same as the 10 Stubs has, cant really fault it, Apps like Strava will upload directly from the device which saves faffing if you want to log you rides. Just remember to charge it!
  • Kerrmit1992
    Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
    That sounds good. Beats the £300 price tags on some of them. I saw some on eBay for around £30 but I don't know what reliability would be like.

And yes I know it's hard to get an exact amount of calories burned but it gives a rough idea and would like it to be as accurate as possible.
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I've got a Forerunner 410, about £130 off Amazon with a heart rate monitor (unused by me to date, but some people like this kind of thing). I like it a lot.