Handbuilt wheels

Rudd
Rudd Posts: 264
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hello All,

Not quite sure where to post this – hopefully this is the right place!

My wheels seems to need constant re-trueing.

About a year ago I acquired some handbuilt wheels from a friend. They are ambrosio excellence rims with ambrosio hubs – I’m not sure what type of spoke but there are 32 per wheel so I would have thought reasonably strong. Trouble is they seem to need re-trueing every 300 miles or so. My friend is lighter than me, so I suspect this is probably why I’m having this problem ie they were built for a lighter rider. My question is, is, there anything inherently ‘wrong’ with that rim and hub combination for a heavier rider (I’m about 13 stone)? Can I solve the issue buy just getting the wheels rebuilt – and maybe just using new spokes or do I need to consider a different rim / hub combination?

Any thoughts much appreciated.

DR

Comments

• gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    More spokes is better the heavier the rider. They probably need re-tensioning all over if they're going out that often.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    edited July 2013
    they need tensioned correctly

so they have never been built properly (who ever did that.....)

they need trued then pre-stressed, then re-trued again until there is sufficient tension within the wheel, this tightness stops the spokes winding off (I would normally do this 3 times over a few days to minimise spoke creep, and let the wheel settle as it is a dynamic structure)

using old school lubes like linseed oil on the nipples will gunge up the thread a little and act as a threadlock

but I don't use old school stuff and never never put thread lock on spokes

if you were in edinburgh I could sort that out............. but check youtube and read up on the matter
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Gozzy wrote:
    More spokes is better the heavier the rider. They probably need re-tensioning all over if they're going out that often.

Exactly...try and find a decent wheel builder, they will likely loosen off all the spokes and then retension them from scratch.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • high tower
    high tower Posts: 47
    Sounds like the wheels have not been built correctly or someone has been out with the spoke key making adjustments.

I did have a problem with a set of factory wheels, every two rides I was having to true the wheels. Eventually used them for the Turbo and the Rollers and got myself a set of hand built's from the LBS who really knows his stuff.

Collected the new wheels and he asked me to pop them back in a few weeks just to check them over again which I did.

3000km later and never had to true the wheel and trust me I have hit a few pot holes that have been that bad I have stopped to check to make sure the wheel is still round.

I would never touch a set of factory wheels ever again, I now have a summer and winter wheel set hand built. Best way to go.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Indeed it does sound like a tension problem. Go to someone who knows how to build wheels. If they say they do not use a tension guage then do not let them do the work.

A properly built (tensioned) wheel will stay true for many 1000's of miles, barring incident.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Rudd
    thanks all, thats really helpful. Does anyone know a friendly wheelbuilder in south east london (ish) who'd be happy to rebuild the wheels?

DR
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Rudd wrote:
    thanks all, thats really helpful. Does anyone know a friendly wheelbuilder in south east london (ish) who'd be happy to rebuild the wheels?

DR

Where's Ugo located....?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • smidsy
    drlodge wrote:
    Where's Ugo located....?

South West London - unlucky :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Rudd
    I'm Dulwich, so south west london is just a quick spin away! Who's Ugo?
  • smidsy
    Ugo.Santalucia is his user name on here.

Top bloke and great wheelbuilder.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Rudd
    thanks smidsy!
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    id guess if you were going to get then re done it would be best to get new spokes and then its like a new wheel build..

thats what id do anyway
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211