Tips for dealing with the heat

djm501
djm501 Posts: 378
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Hi, been cycling for just over a year now and so, as you can imagine I'm not exactly climatised to cycling in the heat we're currently getting from the British weather. I'm very prepared for rain :roll:
I'm riding a 600 km audax this weekend (leighton Buzzard- Chandler's Ford - Exter - Cirencester - Leighton Buzzard) and am starting to become 'concerned' by the weather as I'm a pasty white Scot (by ancestry at least) and burn easily. Also I'm quite big so get hot easily.

Any good tips for dealing with the heat? I'm obviously aware of the need to drink plenty and keep the electrolytes up and wear sunblock.
It occurs to me that maybe wearing a long-sleeved base layer may help reduce sunburn risk to my arms at least and may even help with keeping me cool due to wicking. Or will this just overheat me...?

Comments

• marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    I got some arm "warmers" from mavic which are really thin material and just provide good UV coverage - something like that might give you more flexibility?

Edit: I think these are the equivalent

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=78981
  • djm501
    Bit late to be buying stuff that I'll need to be sourcing from the internet I think. I could have a look but they rarely have my size in stock in the LBS's for stuff like that. I've got arms like a gorilla sadly (less hairy though!) This is why I thought my base layers might be good - they're very thin.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Afraid I can't help - but you have my sympathy. I'm not a sun-worshipper and I sweat when cycling if its above about 4degC. I did 17miles on much lunchbreak yesterday and after an hour out there in the middle of the day, I was very ready to get out of the sun when I got back. That said, I only had a drink twice and hadn't got any suncream on (not that I got burnt mind you), so didn't help myself.

As you say, plenty of water, both over your head and down your neck!! Good luck, hope you get a bit of cloud cover, or a cool breeze to help you along.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • djm501
    Don't have too much sympathy! I could always just not do it of course. :lol:
    (not likely!)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Base layers work for me for wicking and keeping me cool(er!).

I have used long sleeved ones in summer - but not when it is this hot. Sun sleeves (as mentioned above) seem like a good idea. My better half uses them a lot (being very fair-skinned with Irish ancestory) and swears by them.

I have a sleeveless thin merino one that I use in really hot conditions. Works well - I can also leave my jersey fully unzipped without showing my nipples to the world.

I am also trying a string-vest Castelli sleeveless base layer at the moment - not done anything long in it, but seems to work well.

One thing I do also use in very hot conditions is a buff around my neck, soaked in water - this cools me and I can also reach down and use it to wipe over my face and wash away the salt and sweat. I've used this on insanely hot long climbs on the continent and it really makes a difference.

Similarly, a cap dunked in water.

Best of luck for the weekend - remember there's 40 hours available and there's no prizes for using any less of them. In conditions like those you are probably going to face this weekend, there's merit in taking an hour or two off in the real heat of the afternoon and pushing on further into the night instead.
  • djm501
    Cheers Marcus, I might just try a base layer for a while, can always take it off again. And yes a nice pub stop at the height of the afternoon sounds like a good plan, ChrisS mentioned that over on yacf, I think I might just do that. I'd hoped for nice weather, just not necessarily *this* nice!

[edit] Just looked at the weather forecast and actually there's light rain showers predicted along the south and southwest on Saturday afternoon- that could actually be quite nice![/edit]
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Get yourself some P20 suncream.
  • Shtukka
    Shtukka Posts: 59
    Have you thought of getting a camelbak? You'll be able to carry 2-4L of water in addition to whatever your bike can carry - perhaps fill a bike bottle wiht some concentration electrolyte mix. Dehydration is probably your worst enemy after sunburn.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    I'd advise to get some Factor 50 from Boots or any other supermarket and keep it with you, re-applying after a few hours. Personally I'd hate to wear a LS baselayer when 20+C. Plus a SS will help to keep you cool with the wind.
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Get yourself some P20 suncream.

This ^^^

Started off as factor 20 only, now they do other factors. Works. Lasts all day.Top Stuff.

Make sure you drink enough too.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Keep out of the conservatory too :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Wet bandana.
  • djm501
    Wondering if I should ride in one of these...

20355.jpg

Not that I look like that in it ;)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Neatly sidestepped this problem by falling off my bike, smashing myself up and removing myself from cycling for a few weeks when it will have cooled down a bit. A tad drastic but it worked for me ...
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Might seem a bit trivial but get a cap to wear under your helmet. Not only does it stop you getting sunburn through the vents and making your forehead streaky, it can stop sweat running down your face or into your eyes, shades.

No bandanas, you aint Pantani and never will be!!!
  • marylogic
    Mikey23 wrote:
    Neatly sidestepped this problem by falling off my bike, smashing myself up and removing myself from cycling for a few weeks when it will have cooled down a bit. A tad drastic but it worked for me ...

Nightmare! Hope you get better soon.
  • mikebikemike
    mikebikemike Posts: 166
    I deal with it by getting up early and riding whilst it's cool. Obviously this isn't an option for your ride.
    In addition to the block and fluids I would suggest adjusting down your speed to the conditions. Heat stroke could end your day early and uncomfortably. If necessarily stop in shade and cool yourself down with water
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    There's no reason why a wet bandana shouldn't be appropriate. It works well for me and I think that it works well for others too.
  • feemackenzie
    feemackenzie Posts: 130
    After hitting 48 miles in 28c heat, I suffered for it. Thinking about it I'll ..

- go earlier (set off at 10am so should aim for an 8am start)
    - wear a buff on head to avoid sunburn)
    - P20 liberally applied to back of neck, arms, etc
    - take a few £ to allow top-up of fluid (I have always needed to drink more than most so two bottles were only just enough)
    - ease the pace up a little
    - remember to enjoy it, I'm getting off my a**e which is more than many, many others

Oh, and the post-ride recovery cuppa tea (real tea leaves is the only way!)
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    My observation of UK folk is they rush at everything, always in a hurry, drive too fast, can't sit and relax, come over here and have no idea how to pace themselves in the heat, book tennis courts for midday etc

Slow the fark down!

When it goes back to normal next week you can start rushing round like headless chickens again, time is money, back on yer 'eads, tow the line, gotta do things all the time, no time to do things, gotta do more.

Be, not do. :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    There have been a few times that I've been out in the midst of crazy hot and humid days and actually stopped at a convienence store, bought a bag of ice, and took a breather while I put the ice on my head, neck, wrists, back on the head, and so on.
    It will cool you down. When I feel the need to do this it means that my day is basically over and taking the shortest route home is the new order of the day. There to continue the cool down with a nice chilly shower.

Staying out there in severe conditions just because you had promised yourself a long ride is not on any list of advisable things to do. The heat can and will kill you if you don't exhibit a bit of caution. Sometimes thinking you're tough enough to handle it is not a good idea either. You may find you're not all that you imagined.
  • djm501
    Well I did manage it :-)

Would have been nicer if it had been cooler. Oddly, going more quickly was better than slowing down - the breeze y'see ;-)

Dennisn's previous post was on the money - although I didn't use actual ice - just cold water. Got close to dehydrating a few time and after about 350 km I had to do a really nasty hill out of Bath - I walked that in dead heat which was extremely unpleasant. But all in all - I think I'd rather it had been like that than freezing and peeing down all day. Drink more conistently next time would be my lesson. Too many lanes and too few shops to stop at led to massive neckage of liquids when I got the opportunity in towns but also long periods of surviving only on the 1 L supply in my two bidons. I could barely eat for half the ride due to no saliva in the mouth. Got through it though - yay.
  • marylogic
    Well done!

My own particular method for dealing with the heat just now is going on holiday to the one part of the country where it is 13C and blowing a gale :(

Still keeping fingers crossed for a weather window for the Bealach
  • djm501
    Ah, I just asked how you did on the other thread. Premature I see.

Not sure about the gale, that's never good - but I would have loved 13C this weekend I have to say. I got through it but it was pretty grim at times.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I sweat and suffer in the heat. Was worrying about the 82mile wiggle sportive I did last sunday but the following helped:

Castelli String vest - really did what it was supposed to - more air circulating and keeping sweaty jersey away from my body.
    Pearl Izumi arm coolers (white) - kept my arms cool and was not aware of them sweating at all.
    Set off as early as I could possibly get there to enjoy the coolest possible part of the day for as much of the ride as possible.
    Kept moving as much as possible.
    Take helmet off asap for any stops, to prevent overheating.

In my training rides (where I didnt use some of this) before, I found that I felt OK when moving along because the air movement wicked sweat away due to wearing the right clothes etc to start with. But as soon as I stopped for a rest, literally 30 seconds later my arms and legs were dripping sweat. With the extra clothing measures, I was unaware of this if it happenned on sunday - even in 33 deg heat.

I would also suggest getting one of the mini size sun cream bottles (50ml) and taking it somewhere in a bag etc as you often find that you have forgotten somewhere - I realised I hadnt done my ears after 40-50 miles and was able to sort that out rather then finish the ride and find them burnt!

I actually felt reasonably cool the entire time I was moving on the bike and when in the shade found the air quite cooling - this was largely due to correct clothing. Didnt really notice the heat anything like as much as I expected. I did have salt deposits all over my jersey at the end though (as did lots of other riders) so I must have been sweating, I just didnt feel uncomfortable because the kit was doing its job propertly.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    oh - the string vest is yet another item of clothing to add to the list that I am not allowed to show in public and certainly never when I am with my wife (along with the bib part of my bibshorts)!