SDW Tyre advice

IceDog77
IceDog77 Posts: 43
edited July 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

I am riding the South Downs Way in a few weeks time. We are attempting it in a leisurely 3 days.

I currently run Maxxis IKON 60TPI 29"x 2.2" tyres on my Whyte 529 which are average. Can anyone tell me what the best tyres and combo of tyres would be for the tracks on the SDW?
Trek Domane 4.3 2014
Whyte 529 2013

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless there are deluges between now and then, what you have.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Yup, beware of the SDW in the wet.... I got spat off my bike twice because of wet chalk which wasn't fun (and resulted in about 4 hours at A&E :roll: )!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Any decent light weight XC tyre will be fine unless it wet and then it doesn't make much difference. I run XC tyres even if its wet, as most of the SDW is on the hills and the path has good drainage. If its dry, I'd maybe try a little more air in than usual.

I was up there on the 7th (devils dyke to eastbourne and back practice) and it was baking hot. The combination of white chalk and a 8mph tail wind made it very hard going in the heat. I'm up again this weekend for the full 100, gonna be running Spesh fast trak Sworks as hard as I can get away with.

Do you know where all the taps are?
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Harder is not faster.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I agree there is a sweet spot where the tyre is hard enough to reduce the contact patch and soft enough to still deform for minor obstacles. I will be running 38-40psi on a tyre with a 35-65psi range.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    njee20 wrote:
    Harder is not faster.
    True, but the optimum hardness depends on the surface......on road (for example) harder is pretty much always faster.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I did it on Monday,
    Front Schwalbe CX Pro 26 x 1.35"
    Rear Panaracer Fire CX Pro 1.8" Both pumped up towards the top of their range
    For me this was a good trade off - good rolling tyres with a bit of cushioning on the back.
    I had one puncture and fairly canned the downhills, if you´re confident and it´s dry you could even run a slickish tyre...it would keep your concentration levels up!