Pedal creak and jumping chain

papad
papad Posts: 23
edited July 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I'm a little new to bike maintenance and had a search around this forum but can't find an answer to my problem.

Whenever I apply a lot of pressure (up a hill, out of the saddle), there is a loud crack with every revolution of the RHS pedal. I've narrowed it down to the pedal or bottom bracket area. I can feel it through the pedal, it almost feels like it will break off.

This is accompanied by a bit of chain slippage/jumping. The more force in the pedal stroke, the worse it is. When I pedal normally there is no crack or jumping.

I've replaced the chain and cassette with a standard Shimano effort but this hasn't helped.

One thing that may be an influence is that when I replaced my rear break pads, it seemed to make the wheel go slightly out of true (it wobbles a bit) and rubs slightly on the pad.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What BB/crankset?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • papad
    papad Posts: 23
    BB is Shinamo cartridge.

Crankset is Shimano M191 42-34-24 CG.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I know it’s virtually impossible to install a cassette wrongly but you need to check if the cassette is on correctly and square. Also, is the wheel in the slots and have you bent the brake rotors slightly. Remove the chain from the chain ring and spin the crank, should be smooth.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad
    Is the crank tight?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bazza333
    bazza333 Posts: 86
    Chain slippage after fitting a new chain and cassette.- got to be a worn chainring.
  • cooldad
    Except for this
    Papad wrote:
    Whenever I apply a lot of pressure (up a hill, out of the saddle), there is a loud crack with every revolution of the RHS pedal. I've narrowed it down to the pedal or bottom bracket area. I can feel it through the pedal, it almost feels like it will break off.

This is accompanied by a bit of chain slippage/jumping. The more force in the pedal stroke, the worse it is. When I pedal normally there is no crack or jumping.
    Still think it sounds like a loose driveside crank. Which by now is probably fubared.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools