First clip less ride.

Toe knee
Toe knee Posts: 525
edited July 2013 in Road beginners
Did 22.5 mile ride at 6.30 am ( quite roads ) clip less, my word what an amazing difference to my toe clips and straps,
Wish I had done it sooner, avg speed up, hills easier, more efficient, ok a few little moments clipping back in , but nothing that practise will not resolve, together with an upgrade on my wheelset, the difference is amazing, and I would urge any newbies reading this to do the same, the best two upgrades to do in my opinion, can't wait to get back out, and try a 30-35 miler maybe. Ps. Legs feel better than normal aswell. :D

Thanks for reading,

Tony.

Comments

• Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Couldn't agree more Toe Knee (re. pedals...can't comment on the wheels as I've got standard issue wheels on mine still). I defy anyone to be more nervous about using clipless pedals than I was, but I gave them a go and I am amazed at how much better they are. The fear of not being able to clip-out is not as bad as I thought it would be and it just feels better being clipped in.

Anyone not using them already should definitely give them a go at the very least! I'm converted and wish I'd done it right from the start...
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Toe knee wrote:
    avg speed up, hills easier, more efficient Ps. Legs feel better than normal aswell. :D

This my friend is thanks to the so called pseudo effect ;)

Riding clipped in isn't going to increase average speed, make hills easier, it may make your pedalling more efficient but only if your in the 1% of cyclists that really train on perfecting their pedalling technique, and even then, there are many many debates about which is the most efficient etc.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Toe knee wrote:
    avg speed up, hills easier, more efficient Ps. Legs feel better than normal aswell. :D

This my friend is thanks to the so called pseudo effect ;)

Riding clipped in isn't going to increase average speed, make hills easier, it may make your pedalling more efficient but only if your in the 1% of cyclists that really train on perfecting their pedalling technique, and even then, there are many many debates about which is the most efficient etc.

You mean placebo effect? :oops:

Not sure I agree, especially if the OPs average speed is up as shown by his bike computer. Might be more to do with the stiffer and hence more efficient shoes than being clipless per se.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    I found going clipless helped up hill a ton. Especially out the saddle as you don't have to worry about your foot slippin off when you're yanking the bike all over.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • I had my first clipless ride today.

Done the slow motion fall to the side, then the get up and look at driver next to you who is pissing himself laughing, guy behind me in a bike "Welcome to the club"

never fell with so much class before
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    The thing I first found was that it allows a more consistent power output on hills with your legs going around all the time rather than the piston effect you can get with flats.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    drlodge wrote:

Not sure I agree, especially if the OPs average speed is up as shown by his bike computer. Might be more to do with the stiffer and hence more efficient shoes than being clipless per se.

I'd like to see some proof that stiffer shoes are more efficient, rather than simply more comfortable owing to superior foot support, but the same thing could be achieved by changing a lot of things; the simple fact of the matter is that no pedal system or shoe can increase the amount of power going into it, can it? Granted, floppy trainers might cause some discomfort (though I don't remember having any particular problems when I started off), and a very loose strap isn't exactly conducive to a fluid stroke, but still, unless we go to silly extremes of discomfort, there's only so much effect that the kit should have if you're cycling like you mean it at amateur levels over short distance.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    drlodge wrote:
    especially if the OPs average speed is up as shown by his bike computer

Average speed is up compared to when exactly? His previous PB?

If this is your theory, I posted a PB on a 2.5mile flat section of tarmac, at the time I was wearing Puma easyrider trainers (with "floppy" soles) with flat pedals whilst riding my (now retired) cyclocross bike. I've yet to beat that time on my much lighter road bike with SPD-SL's (and I've tried pretty damned hard on occasions). Going on this logic, my old cyclocross bike is obviously better/faster than my current road bike :wink:
  • awginger
    awginger Posts: 23
    I had my first clipless ride today.

Done the slow motion fall to the side, then the get up and look at driver next to you who is pissing himself laughing, guy behind me in a bike "Welcome to the club"

never fell with so much class before
    I can top that! I fell over on my drive! Got up quick, no-one saw! :P
  • drlodge
    drlodge wrote:

I'd like to see some proof that stiffer shoes are more efficient, rather than simply more comfortable owing to superior foot support

Well in my book, comfortable = more efficient. If you are not comfortable, you'll be expending energy on the uncomfortable area (shifting around, straining certain muscles to keep your body in a position etc) which could be used to power the pedals instead. Much like Steve Hogg says...
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Er, the OP said he upgraded his wheels as well as switching to clipless, I thought?
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • drlodge
    drlodge wrote:
    especially if the OPs average speed is up as shown by his bike computer

Average speed is up compared to when exactly? His previous PB?

If this is your theory, I posted a PB on a 2.5mile flat section of tarmac, at the time I was wearing Puma easyrider trainers (with "floppy" soles) with flat pedals whilst riding my (now retired) cyclocross bike. I've yet to beat that time on my much lighter road bike with SPD-SL's (and I've tried pretty damned hard on occasions). Going on this logic, my old cyclocross bike is obviously better/faster than my current road bike :wink:

Less of a theory, more a way of thinking. Nothing can be proved here, its just an observation by one person based on some feeling or measure. Same could be said for when I had shims and wedges put on my shoes...I was faster due to the observation I beat several PBs including some uphill sections. It doesn't prove the shims/wedges were the factor, but does seem to suggest they helped improve my performance - especially as my times have not gone backwards since. It could also be due to me being fitter, or more comfortable (which = efficient which = powerful which = faster) :D
    Find me on Strava
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    TheHound wrote:
    I found going clipless helped up hill a ton. Especially out the saddle as you don't have to worry about your foot slippin off when you're yanking the bike all over.
    Using clipless pedals isn't going to turn a middle aged man like me into Chris Froome but this is a big advantage. Before I used clipless pedals my foot would slide around on the pedals even using toe clips. Using flat pedals alone is even worse.

Clipless pedals keep my feet where they need to be and I can stop jiggling them about or even thinking about them at all. That leaves me free to focus on my pedal stroke and I think that's a big benefit. Even if it doesn't make me any faster (and I bet it makes me a little bit faster) it makes the whole experience much more enjoyable. I love my clipless pedals.

Whatever your views of how efficient they are, there is no getting away from the fact that the vast majority of experienced roadies (in my local straw poll this effectively amounts to everyone) use some form of clipless pedal. Very few people turn back to flats or toe clips after using clipless pedals. There must be something good about them if they are so overwhelmingly popular.